Abit KR7 Boot problems

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:08 am

To make a long story short:

A get home, install my new Abit KR7 and XP1800 in my new Lian Li aluminum case. Add the video card (Ti200), and boot. It posts. All is well. I bring it down, and bring it back up, it posts again. All is well.

A friend comes over with his hardware to test b/c he recently was delivered TWO bad Asus A7V266-E's, and wants to make sure the rest of his hardware works. I put in his processor and his cooler, and his RAM. I boot, it posts.

I replace my own hardware....and it won't post. I've run it in my hands, I've run it on cardboard, I've resinstalled it in the case. I've remounted the CPU about 8 times, reinstalled the memory about 8 times, and reseated the video card about 8 times. The only reaction I get from the system are the fans spinning. No BIOS beep codes, no video signal.

I don't know what else to do! I don't see how the MB could be grounding out when it's not touching anything, I've cleared the CMOS probably 2 or 3 dozen times.....

Any suggestions?? I hope I didn't somehow damage my CPU on reinstallation. There were no mishaps, though, so I don't see how I could have!

Sigh....

Any help would be appreciated.
Llathos
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:18 am

First I would smack your friend!!! :razz:

Actually do you have any of his H/W to use for testing? That may be the best way to go...Just switch some of his "good" H/W around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FlyingDragon on 2002-02-08 08:20 ]</font>
FlyingDragon
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:01 am

Haha...yeah that's what I told him. All his fault...put his funky hardware in my system.

This is where it gets weird.

To test the motherboard, I put his processor back in...and it doesn't post. I try again, and realize the monitor cable was loose, so I put it back on tightly, and then there's a signal...and it posts. I leave EVERYTHING as it was, put my stuff back on, and it fails to post. (REady for this?) THen I leave everything as it was, put his processor back in, and it fails to post.

I say my processor is bad b/c it was working fine, and there's been no damage to it that I can tell. I can't say the motherboard is bad, b/c it's posted both my processor and his processor at some point. The video card has worked across all scenarios, and so has the RAM.

It defies logic.
Llathos
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:36 am

Could be anything, but if I were you I'd RMA the board. It's not like ABIT hasn't had quality issues before.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:27 am

I had very strange (boot & memory) problems with KR7A. I tried everything I could imagine, until I saw this article http://www.tbreak.com/hard/mobo/abit_kr ... page3.html I loosened (and later tightened again) the middle screw and then it worked fine...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caesalar on 2002-02-08 10:28 ]</font>
Caesalar
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:37 pm

I don't mean to shoot down any incoming suggestions because, Lord knows I need em, but if I was running it out of the case on cardboard and/or on the plastic packaging, wouldn't that circumvent any grounding issues?
Llathos
Gerbil In Training

Return to Processors