Optical cable question

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Postposted on Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:01 pm

I have a Game Theater XP and just bought a Kenwood home theater. I have it setup fine but noticed it also has a optical cable connection like the XP. Is there a benefit to using that and were could I buy the correct cable?
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:25 am

Standard digital over analog output benefits are the only things I can think of right now for the optical connection. I've never really looked too in-depth into the differences though, I do use optical whenever I can though. The cables can be bought just about anywhere, Best Buy, etc. Oh on the cheap end you'll probably be paying roughly $20 USD for a 6ft cable and that's the cheap end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ANApex on 2002-02-21 07:26 ]</font>
ANApex
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:25 pm

The digital i/o will use the DACs in the reciever instead of the soundcard. Good thing if you have a high quality reciever. Also helps eliminate noise as the digital signal is succeptable to most forms of EM noise. If your running surround it also help eliminate a bunch of extra cables. I run digital cables where I can, preferably optical, but RF is thats whats available. It great simplifes setting things up. Way less cables to plug in, etc.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:45 pm

I found this cable on a site a few days ago:
TOSLINK OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO CABLE
Would this work in the receiver and game theater xp?
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:57 pm

Yup.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:04 pm

Also, the digital signal allows for the sending of Dolby Digital signals (whether it be mono, stereo, 5.1 or even 6.1) through that one cable. Your receiver should then know what to do with it, and it will most likely give you more options than Hercules' drivers...
highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:20 pm

Now if only soundcard manufacturers would start putting optical SPDIF connections on the back of their cards....
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:09 am

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:19 am

Yup, now give it to me in a microATX form factor so I can put in my AV stack. Actually, that's another complaint I have. All the microATX cases I have seen that have optical SPDIF connectors have them of the front as well.

Hey, if your gonna ask, ask for the world.

I actually find it interesting that a mobo manufacturer is the first I've seen to do this. With all the speaker sets floating around that have digital decoders, I would figure someone would have taken a nice sound card and ripped out the analog section and left only digital outputs. But then what do I know.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:33 am

Although the benefits of digital media are being purported as superior, it is not always true(AKA troll). In this specific case it is probably best, with audio reproduction the resultant distortion is the more than the sum of all the parts, each part that you can minimize will give you a greater result than just subtracting the THD of the specific part...
Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Return to Processors