What exactly is a SMART CARD READER for?

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:22 am

I'm planning on buying the Soyo Dragon plus for my new system and I know it comes with a smart card reader. I'm somewhat of a newbie but I've never heard of a smart card reader before. What is it used for? Could I configure it so I have to use a smart card to log on to my comp? I figure that has to be what it's there for, but a valid question anyways. Where do you get smart cards, and will the reader write new cards? I know some people on this forum have a soyo dragon plus or plan to get one, did you install it or is it still sitting in your mobo packaging collecting dust. Let me know what you think on this. Thanks

-Solo, Return of the Jedi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyderium on 2002-02-21 03:27 ]</font>
tyderium
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:22 am

Smart cards can be used for lots of things, mainly I see them being used to hold ID certificats (email etc.). My old university used them with their meal plans and university ATM type functions(paying for printouts, vending machines, etc.) American Express uses it with their Blue card for my guess online authentication of some type. Smart cards can also be used with some cell phones to store PIMs. If I remember right it is the PIM function that the Soyo reader was basically included for but I could be remembering wrong.
ANApex
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:58 am

Am I off base here or can they be used to hack/phreak???
Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Return to Processors