Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

0oALio0

Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:03 am

Does anyone know how to run 2 mice (mouses?)on the same computer at the same time? I have a Logitech 3-button and a Logitech USB Optical. I was hoping to be able to run one on ps/2 or serial and the other on usb. My main reason for wanting this is split-screen in serious sam. Right now one player has to use the keyboard only (doom style) and the other gets the mouse. Thanks

Steel
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:30 am

Well, that should work fine under Win9x or 2K but I don't know if you will be able to get seperate controls for each player that way. Every time I've hooked up a dual mouse Windows has treated it like one device - either one moves the mouse cursor.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:51 pm

Running multiple mice works fine. I run two USB mice. Actually a mouse and a trackball. However windows doesn't differentiate between the two. As such, games won't know the difference either.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:16 pm

But at least he got the grammer right first time :grin:

There's a start at least,
IntelMole

0oALio0

Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:35 pm

i've been messing with the ss2 settings for player controls and in the mouse input thing it has an option for mouse 1 and mouse 2 but for some reason i can't get it to work correctly. Has anyone tried that?

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:36 pm

I have 3 mice on mine.

A logiech Mouseman scroll mouse (PS2 type), a Microsoft Intellimouse (LED/USB) and a Logitech Wingman USB mouse.

I have found that the logitech drivers for win2k and XP suck. They have some real bugs in them. In games, the middle and right buttons cancel each other out some times or lock one or the other. So, if you hit one button and then the other at the same time, neither button has an effect or, sometimes, the second button will get stuck like it's on auto fire or something. I use the default drivers for my Logitech mice.

I loaded the intellimouse software without a hitch. It affects only the intellimouse, not the other two.

So, the story is, yes, you can have any number of mice on the machine at the same time. The only problem I've had with the drivers is caused by a bug, not by WinXP.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:46 pm

I have successfully utilized two Logitech mice at the same time, in Win9x and in Win2K. However, as mentioned earlier by Steel and SecretSquirrel, either mouse will move the cursor; would be kewl if u could have a dedicated cursor for each.
And I agree with Thresher, the Win2K Logitech drivers have some issues. However, its the only way to get programmable buttons set to something other than the default.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:16 pm

Lenz, that's why I have the intellimouse on there. The Wingman is for gaming, don't need programmable buttons. As for the Mouseman, I use that soley in case the USB mice go t#ts up.