Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

gubbar924
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:18 am

Hi, I'm looking to put a new computer together for myself. I want to use dual Athlon processors, but I'm not sure sure if I should stick with the XP's or the MP's. Also, which motherboard should I use with them? The computer is mainly just for home use with the basics of MP3's and videos, BUT I also use "heavy" programs like photoshop and later on Visual Studio.Net. I also start up my apache server with mysql database and php just to test out some scripts b4 i upload them to the real server. As far as video and audio cards go, what would you guys recommend for somebody who doesnt care much for games but still likes pretty good graphics and sound quality (like I said, photoshop and mp3's)?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me :smile:

Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:24 am

Have a look here. Also, http://www.2cpu.com is a good place to solicit suggestions on SMP motherboards.

Bruce

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:38 am

You sure your new to computers?

I (kinda) run my own website on computer hardware and I don't know squat about mysql :grin:

If you only want 2D images, then Matrox are widely regarded as having some of the very best 2D in the biz...

As for sound, the AU10 looks pretty neat IMO... 5.1 sound etc. etc... But I've never heard it and you might well disagree...

In the end, you're gonna have to get down to some hardware places and (look/listen) (at/to) the hardware yourself...

At least I know what SQL stands for eh?,
IntelMole