Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:00 pm

Hello every one..
I'm gonna bother you all with some questions about a new system I'm about to get. :smile:
first off, I'm planning on getting an 762MPX athlon mobo, but I don't know which brand to get. can any one point me in the right way?
second, I feel my eyes are gonna pop out reading all those reviews about HSF, one that fits and the other that won't give good cooling but fits... etc. what kind would you recommend?
third and final :smile: , I'm thinking about getting a Sound Blaster Audigy card, but I'm reading about this "squeal of death" thing. should i steer by this card and get a Live! one instead?

thanks all for the help, and sorry about the long post.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:57 am

steer clear of creative sound cards altogether, if you can. go for a hercules game theatre xp, if that's in your budget ;-p

cRock
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:34 pm

First, avoid creative cards on SMP boxen. I would recommend a Herc. Muse XL for solid sound on the cheap.

As for an AMD dually mobo, Asus and Tyan are good bets. If you don't need the 64/66 PCI slots (and be honest, you probably don't), I'd get a Tiger MP and save a couple of bucks.

For HSFs, the SK-6 is hard to beat and fit all of the dual boards.

technophile
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:15 pm

ok, now I'm just curious. It seems like every other person on TR uses SB cards - but I guess I never noticed that the SMP'ers don't. Why don't SB cards work on duelies?

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:33 pm

Hehe just for the record I don't do SMP and I use the Game Theater XP :wink: so not everyone uses creatives, as for the no creatives on SMPs I would say because of compatability, there just seems to be too many problems caused by creative cards.

RandomNull
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:38 pm

I run a dually and a creative. it works alright, I think what others are alluding to is that creative blows and not to go w/them not because of dual rig but because like I said they blow.
I have one because it was cheap and I needed something because I used onboard sound from last mobo.
The Tyan Tiger 2460 board is nice I suggest you get one.

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:40 pm

i agree i have asus 266-d but asus did a bad job explaning the problems, nothing big but the tyans will give u less headache
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:53 pm

about the Tyan mobos, I think that i read somewhere that you can't use 512Mb sticks with it? is that true. and since on the subject of memory can you use non registered momery on it?

thanks alot all.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:11 pm

You can try to use non-registered DIMMs on a Tyan, but it will almost cetainly not work. And if it does work, your stability is likely to be far less than optimal. Get the registered stuff, save yourself the hassle.