Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:52 pm

:evil: Can you believe this??? Epox is saying that the capacitor on their board is UNNECESSARY!!! I quote:

“Regarding the high capacitor on EPoX motherboard EP-8KHA, EP-8KHA+, it was designed to optimize the stability of a DDR motherboard....However according to the real experiences of using the selling DDR modules in the market, the power consumption is much lower than it was reported. In fact one 1500ìf/6.3V, LSR capacitors is enough to handle it. In EPoX internal testing, the stability and overclockability is still very high without any influences.”

By case users has difficulty in installing VisionTek GF4 Ti4600 graphic card on EPoX EP-8KHA+ and EP-8KHA, the first solution will be removing the CE6 capacitor. If users are not experienced in solder iron, they can use pliers to remove this component. If users are still confused with it or have any questions, they can contact any EPoX branch office in worldwide.

Uh, so if I rip my capacitor off the motherboard, what happens to my warranty? What happens if I screw up my motherboard? What happens if my motherboard doesn't work afterwards? What if I don't properly discharge the capacitors and shock the hell out of myself trying to do this?

This just seems irresponsible at best, and horrible customer service at worst. The 8kha+ is my first and last Epox motherboard...:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh I ripped the quotes from warp2search.net.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:08 pm

They don't have an option to send it to them to have it done?

Despite
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:34 pm

incredible! well no, I guess not, since I do believe it. still, that sucks major ass.
btw Vrock, I like your sig.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:53 pm

They don't have an option to send it to them to have it done?

I guess that's where this part comes in?

"If users are still confused with it or have any questions, they can contact any EPoX branch office in worldwide."

I wouldn't bother though, I contacted Epox last week about this issue and I have yet to receive a response.

I'm fairly capable with a soldering iron, but that's not the point. They are saying "Yeah, our board is screwed up. Here's how YOU fix it. Any questions?"

Oh, thanks Despite. Those "look what I have" computer descriptions drive me nuts :smile:

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:11 pm

Telling the truth is one thing. Telling people to take a pair on pliars to their mobo is another thin entirely.

Gee... I hope got the right **snap** ... oops ... I think that was the wrong one.

Talk about a support nightmare.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:56 pm

Yeah, I feel bad for their support team now, I can imagine the kind of calls they'll get. "Well, it looked like these other ones were in the way too, so I took those out just in case."

You'd figure if there's a capacitor there, it's there for a reason...don't they test these designs, before they start producing and ship them?

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:50 pm

So what's the deal? Now some people are saying this is a hoax? Wouldn't surprise me...

Still waiting for Epox to get back with me from a WEEK ago.

Toyotamr2_86NA
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:06 pm

I wouldn't recommend taking that cap. off. Its probably going to make the mo. bo. unstable under certain conditions. Id recommend you guys get a new board (Different company obviously), andtry to get your money back on that piece of poop EPOX.

-Just my 2 pennies