Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

brute
Gerbil
Topic Author

Your opinion? Core i3? Sandy Bridge?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi,

I am looking to jump over to the Intel camp. My budget isn't big, so I'd be stuck with a Core i3 or i5, for now, which is fine by me.

Which motherboard do you reckon is the best for LGA1156 overclocking that isn't going to break the budget? I don't want to spend more than $130 or so for a board, and I think I'm going to go with the Core i3 530.

My other question is, do you know when Sandy Bridge is coming out, and whether or not it'd be worth waiting for? What are the expected prices for it?

I use my computer mostly for email and watching youtubes, sometimes I play some games like Star Craft 2 or Team Fortress 2, but it's mostly casual use.

Other tips???

Thanks!

EDIT: By the way, I have a GPU and PSU and HDD and Cooler/case I will be transferring over.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Your opinion? Core i3? Sandy Bridge?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Given the results that Intel's tick-tock has delivered so far, I'd say that Sandy Bridge is definitely worth waiting for if you can. From what I've read of Sandy Bridge, there is much to anticipate. From http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19711 which references http://realworldtech.com/page.cfm?Artic ... 1810191937 you can read the likes of
The Sandy Bridge CPU cores can truly be described as a brand new microarchitecture that is a synthesis of the P6 and some elements of the P4. Although Sandy Bridge most strongly resembles the P6 line, it is an utterly different microarchitecture. Nearly every aspect of the core has been substantially improved over the previous generation Nehalem. Many of these changes, such as the uop cache or physical register files, are drawn from aspects of or concepts behind the P4 microarchitecture. While the P4 was ultimately a flawed implementation, it embodied many good ideas – ideas that are reappearing across the industry, and in Sandy Bridge. The underlying philosophy of Intel’s approach to CPU design is to focus on maximizing per-core performance and efficiency.
So, yeah, I'd say the anticipation-meter is reading off the charts on Sandy Bridge - at least for me. Sandy Bridge may finally pull me over to Intel after sticking with AMD chips ever since my Athlon 800 some 10 years ago. I'm going to wait for Bulldozer to launch, just to give AMD a last chance, but, honestly speaking, I'm not expecting Bulldozer to be as good of a desktop processor as Sandy Bridge.

Edit: Here is what you can expect as a minimum from Sandy Bridge (I say as a minimum because Anand's reviewing the product far in advance of the actual launch, so Intel should be tweaking away at drivers and such) http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the- ... s-in-a-row.

brute
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Excellent, thanks!!!!

Now, let's say I find myself unable to wait. Which LGA1156 board do I pick up?

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:52 pm

logan wrote:
Excellent, thanks!!!!

Now, let's say I find myself unable to wait. Which LGA1156 board do I pick up?

Asus P7P55D(-E) or Gigabyte P55A-UD3(R).
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(