Any idea when AM3 CPUs will stop being sold?

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Any idea when AM3 CPUs will stop being sold?

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 am

I'm wondering how long I've got to get the best processor (at the best price) for my setup :)
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Re: Any idea when AM3 CPUs will stop being sold?

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:05 am

Probably for a few months yet at least. I was considering dropping an x6 Thuban in my setup, but I'll probably just pony up for a Bulldozer and an AM3+ mobo.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 am

I wouldn't worry about it much. AMD have been very big on compatibility, especially in recent years. They'll probably figure it out just right.

On the other hand, stock up on lots of RAM in preparation of the upcoming years' computers, people. Now's the time. If you see high-density DDR3 (4 GiB module or greater) on a discount or special sale, take it and don't look back.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:17 am

Meadows wrote:If you see high-density DDR3 (4 GiB module or greater) on a discount or special sale, take it and don't look back.

Yeah, these prices won't stay forever. Good advice.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Especially if the Japanese wafer plants can't get power, or have to be evacuated (depending on radioactive genies getting out of bottles and wind direction). DRAM spot prices already spiked up ~7%. Of course, that could be temporary too, and reduced demand could give us a glut and lowered prices later in the year. But right now, there's no question the price direction is up.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Really glad I stocked up on RAM recently. Looks like I hit it just as prices bottomed; barring unforeseen failures or unexpected system builds, I probably won't be needing any new RAM for 6-12 months.

Guess I'll watch the CPU market and grab a 6-core Phenom II (or two) before they go EOL. I figure the best time to buy them will be right after Bulldozer debuts; the prices on the Phenom II will likely be cut to make way for the Bulldozer chips.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 pm

At around $50/4GB, DDR3 is almost to the $40/4GB low that DDR2 hit. Now is definitely the time to buy RAM if you think you'll need it in the next couple of years. Odds are those prices will go up.

I'll probably upgrade my AM2+ system with a Thuban processor a year from now when those will be really cheap used.
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:37 am

FuturePastNow wrote:At around $50/4GB, DDR3 is almost to the $40/4GB low that DDR2 hit.

DDR3 has been available for $40 for 4GB (or less when on sale) for a while now, actually.
Intel 2500K & Scythe Mugen2 | ASRock H67M-GE | 8GB DDR3 | Boot drive: OCZ Vertex 3
TV tuner: Aver HDDuet | Xonar DG | Fractal Design R4 | Rosewill Capstone 450M
insulin_junkie72
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:41 am

I am looking to buy some memory for bulldozer
most of the rebates I've been looking at allow 1 rebate only, and I need 8GB at least
anyone know a good deal for 2 sets of 4GB or a good price on an 8GB package?
I see some patriot memory was on sale but the rebate expires today and they are out of stock
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Return to Processors