Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Reccos17
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:27 pm

OK I was screwin around in my BIOS just looking around at stuff basically and minding my own business and only changing options that i was sure i knew something about. Thats when I got to something that read something like "Boot from:" followed by "Backup Boot:" I know this isn't what it said but I can't remember exactly how it was phrased. I set Backup to CDROM instead of Floppy because the XP cd is bootable. I then changed the Boot from option from Default to HDD 0 because I figured that would be my C: where Windows and the BIOS were both located anyway. Apparently I was wrong because now when I turn my computer on nothing happens. I just get a nice black monitor and nothing else. I cant get back into the BIOS to change it back to default and it wont boot from the XP cd either and since I disabled the Bootable Floppy options bsaed on some sites suggestion, thats not gonna work either. Soooo, If ANYONE knows how to fix this problem or has any suggestions at all. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

(OK go ahead and point your finger at me and laugh if you cant help)

Reccos17
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:30 pm

And if this is in the wrong forum section thing I'm sorry I wasn't sure where to post this or even if this site should be used for troubleshooting type stuff. It was either here or in the tweaking section but I dunno. Just a suggestion, maybe there should be a lil spot where idiots who screwed up their computers (like me) can go to get advice on how to fix it. Anyway, I hope someone can help out a lil bit.
Thanks again.

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:36 pm

*points and laughs*

Just kidding, these things happen even to seasoned techs... :wink:
Have you tried clearing your BIOS? There should be a jumper on you motherboard to do this, the manual shoud tell you where.

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:40 pm

or just take out ur motherboard battery for about a minute or so and that should reset it to default settings
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:47 pm

Rest assured that there is a 99.99% chance that changing the boot order settings isn't what is causing your problems. Those don't come into play until really late in the game. If you are getting a blank screen, something else is wrong. You wouldn't by any chance have been tinkering with the clock and/or multiplier settings now would you?

I agree with the other guys. Clear the CMOS and try again. Ways to do that: Most mobo's have a clear CMOS jumper on them. Removed the CMOS batter for a while. Many time the CMOS can be cleared by holding down the INS key while powering on a machine.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:55 pm

Let that be a lesson to you :smile: Now go clear ur BIOS... and no supper! :smile:

Nah, we've all been there done that, I remember my first screw up. I was trying to re-organise my programs so their locations were logical. In my nievity (that how u spell it?) I thought that Windows would note that I was moving programs about and change the locations for it... ooooh dear hehe

Suddenly nothing worked and I had to format & start again...

Now THAT is a lot worse than ur high-faluting BIOS stuff :grin:,
IntelMole

Reccos17
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:17 pm

Wow, first i'd like to say thanks to the incredibly SPEEDY replies! I currently at a friends house (so i can access the internet to get help) but I'm on my way home to put your advice to the test. And as to SecretSquirrel's comment about overclocking... yes I admit my computer was previously overclocked successfully from 700MHz to a blistering 702MHz... but this was at a previous time so I do not think this attributed to the problem. The chip is relatively cool so I dont think that its a heating problem. Of course, weirder things have been known to happen to my computers. But NEway, i'll update you when I am thru with with my attempts.

Reccos17
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:31 am

Hey thanks everyone who replied to my plea for help! It was as easy as holding the INS key. I had heard of this back a year or so ago but since I had never actually needed to do it it slipped my mind. I still am unsure as to what exactly cause the computer to simply not display but whatever it was is fixed now. Also I have now overclocked to a stable 811MHz from 702MHz. Thanks again