CPUs FX-8150 and FX-8120 to hit retail in Q3 2011

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Re: CPUs FX-8150 and FX-8120 to hit retail in Q3 2011

Postposted on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:49 am

I was really looking forward to getting an FX chip mid-summer. But waiting until Oct/Nov to get one will make me wait and see how the Sandy Bridge E's perform before I end up deciding :roll:
Elsoze
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:25 pm

Oh boy.. I hope for our sake it'll be out next month. Can't wait to see benchmarks and die shots and other whatnots. Not that I plan to upgrade soon, but waiting for Bulldozer is not too different from waiting for the Second Coming.
As you get older, you don't lose your friends.. you just find out who the real ones are.
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 pm

so, like, any minute now, right?

Elsoze wrote:I was really looking forward to getting an FX chip mid-summer. But waiting until Oct/Nov to get one will make me wait and see how the Sandy Bridge E's perform before I end up deciding :roll:

False dilemma for most users. Sandy Bridge E will bring with it a much more costly platform that requires what will be a very expensive motherboard, if 1366 is any indication, and probably higher cost on the CPUs to start as well. Not to mention that while quad-channel RAM isn't a requirement, you'll want it in order to get the very best out of your already very expensive investment (what's another $50 for 4x4GB of RAM, anyhow?) It'll be other-worldly in both performance and cost. The debate will be between Sandy Bridge and Zambezi for most, or waiting until January/February for Ivy Bridge.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Processors