Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

difference between core i3 and core i5 Ivy Bridge

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:08 pm

I just bought a new gaming rig and and I had to go on the cheap for much of it (as I had to squeeze new winter tires, new hockey equipment and house taxes) in there, so I went shopping on a budget (but splurging on a 7870 Ghz edition and SSD's as those I think would make the biggest difference to my budget gaming machine. I bought a:

core i3 3220 (3.3Ghz)
MSI G41 Z77 motherboard
Radeon 7870 Ghz edition
plus a bunch of other stuff not relevant to this question...

I figured the price difference between the core i3 ($109.99) and core i5 ($179.99) wasn't enough to justify the little bit of "turbo" the core i5 offers, but then I saw that apparantly the i3 only supports PCI 2.0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Hold on a minute, that's a pretty big deal. Does this mean that my shiny new Z77 motherboard would only be running it's PCIe 16x in 2.0 mode? If so, would that have any impact on my 7870's ability to output graphics? I looked through TR's review of Ivy Bridge but they only tested i5/i7. I Haven't been able to find anything on the net to give me a solid answer, but I'm still looking.

If it will impact performance, I'll buy an i5, but I'd rather save the money...
Last edited by Sargent Duck on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

brute
Gerbil

Re: difference between core i3 and core i5 Ivy Bridge

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:11 pm

cant speak to the pcie difference, but you got a dual core instead of a quad core. that's the chief difference.

dual core with HT vs quad core without

still 4 threads, but the i5 should have significantly better performance i think.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:32 pm

In games, an i5 will be better than an i3, but only marginally. Your i3 will still outgame almost the entire AMD lineup. The only time an i3 has problems is in applications that can take advantage of more than 2 physical cores. (HT does help a little, but it's DEFINETLY not like having 4 physical cores) Things like video encoding, Adobe Creative Suite products, file compression, etc can significantly benefit from more cores if you're doing large files/projects. Since your build is focused on gaming, I doubt the time savings in these programs is worth the added cost.

Regarding PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0: Even a 7870 can't saturate 16 lanes of PCIe 2.0, so you're ok. The real benefit to PCIe 3.0 having twice the bandwidth right now is for the mobo manufacturers to split those higher speed lanes more ways without a tangible impact on performance. This means more bandwidth flexibility in today's high speed interfaces (ie Crossfire/SLI, USB3.0, Thunderbolt, etc).
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm

PCI 2.0 has enough bandwidth on the bus interface that no GPU or game out today is able to fully saturate it. You usually find a bottleneck in your system elsewhere first, so I wouldn't worry too much. This was much the same when AGP got various speed bumps - In the real world it made a non-discernible difference on gameplay.

IMO, you'll be able to overclock the GPU's memory a bit and it will you a 2-5 extra FPS. Maybe an additional 1-2 FPS bump if you overclock the core too, but it doesn't do nearly as much to the performance like the memory does - If your worried about performance. :wink:

*Edit: The [H] has a good review to back this up. Conclusion is that the small 2-5% performance variation is more to do with IB's per-core enhancements rather than the PCI interface type. In many cases there was no differnce at all.
Source: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/ ... _review/14

*Double Edit: DPete27 beat me to it!
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Almost all cards run at maximum, or near-maximum throughput on an old PCIe 1.0 slot (x16) which means that you utterly, totally, definitely don't need a PCIe 3.0 slot

Even if you were to run your card at PCIe 2.0 x8 instead of x16, you'd still get 95% of the performance, and bear in mind that the numbers below are for more potent graphics cards than your 7870:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Awesome guys, thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I was thinking the difference between PCIe 3.0 and 2.0 was kinda like the AGP 8x/4x, but I wanted to make sure. I won't ever be doing video encoding, Adobe Creative Suite, file compression or anything like that.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.