Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

SageEidolon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:10 pm

Lookin for advice on a new mobo...

Want a Socket A ATX board with either the KT266A or the NForce chipsets.

Top on my list right now is the Soyo Dragon Plus, but these are my hesitations in order of importance to me:
It uses only DDR, no option for SDRAM
It will not do ATA133, only ATA100
It has only five PCI slots

Anyone want to comment on the Dragon Plus or a mobo that overcomes these problems?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:13 pm

I bought a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+ in November.

"It uses only DDR, no option for SDRAM"
PC133 is too slow to keep your Athlon or Duron supplied with data. You need PC2100 DDR to get the performance you paid for from the AthlonXP. Memory is about twice as expensive now as it was in November, but it's still pretty cheap. I would be more concerned that the SY-K7V uses the KT-266A chipset rather than the new slightly-faster KT-333 chipset.

"It will not do ATA133, only ATA100"
At the moment, you will not see much performance difference between ATA100 and ATA133 because the drive's hardware is much slower than the interface. As faster-spinning drives with high bit density and/or larger on-drive cache appear in the future, you may eventually be able to see a difference.

"It has only five PCI slots"
This motherboard comes with:
1) Promise Fasttrak 100 Lite on-board RAID controller (can also be used as an additional IDE controller)
2) C-Media CMI8738 6-channel audio (including optical and SPDIF/AC3 digital output at 44.1 kHz). This is a more advanced version of the audio chip found on the Hercules Muse XL sound card.
3) On-board VIA 10/100 Ethernet
4) Six USB ports (requires an extra $9 cable to use the last two)
5) Smart Card Reader (I haven't found a use for it. Do you have a G3 cell phone?)
6) AGP4X Pro slot

Other than possibly an IEEE-1394 card or SCSI host adapter, what do you need to put into the PCI slots? All five of mine are empty.

I do not believe that Soyo has a KT-333 board out yet, but the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP has a nice list of features, Compared to the SY-K7V Dragon+, it has the advantages of ATA133 RAID and USB 2.0. The on-board Creative CT5880 is significantly less capable than the C-Media 8738, but it is much better than AC97 sound.

SageEidolon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:37 pm

The Gigabyte board you recommend sounds great, except for the following found at http://www.hardwarepub.com/reviews/moth ... ex_3.shtml
The overclocking on this board has generated some mixed feelings. The KT333 chipset supports a 6:1 PCI divider, allowing one to overclock the CPU/RAM FSB without affecting that of the AGP/PCI bus. In addition, a consultation of Gigabyte's technical support showed that the board does not have the ability to alter DIMM and AGP voltage.

Dip switches are used for multiplier adjustment for up to 12.5x. This is a little low, but dip switches do generally prevent the curious and inexperienced from frying his or her CPU. All the same, multiplier settings in the bios would be nicer.

Front side bus, CPU vCore, and RAM timings can all be adjusted allowing for a pretty decent array of variables by which to optimize the performance of one's system. However, the lack of voltage manipulation for the AGP and the DIMM slots leaves the enthusiast feeling a little empty inside

I don't plan on doing severe overclocking (never done it before), but would like the option in the future. Would that dissuade you from this board or is it still a god choice?

SageEidolon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:47 pm

Check out the following for an impressive write-up of the soon-to-be-released KT333 mobo from Soyo.

http://www.amdzone.com/releaseview.cfm?releaseID=831

Sounds alot like the Gigabyte board, but with the better audio and better overclocking abilities. Also, they've modified the sigma bay you mentioned, which I am slightly interested in, to fill a 3.5 inch bay, now.
Downside is the board will cost $50 more than the Gigabyte ($75 more if you want the sigma bay).
Thoughts?

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about the overclocking. If anything, I think overclocking for your first time is better done with dip switches, than in the bios. And unless you're doing some really extreme OC'ing, I don't think you're gonna need to toy with the voltages mentioned.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:21 am

I like the feature list of the SY-KT333 Dragon. Do we have any idea when it might be available?

Here are the improvements over the SY-K7V Dragon+:
·KT-333 for 166/333MHz "PC2700" RAM (vs. 133/266MHz PC2100)
·ATA 133 (vs. ATA 100)
·USB 2.0, 4 ports (vs. 6 ports of USB 1.1)
·HiPoint ATA133 RAID (vs. Promise ATA100 RAID. Is this better or worse than a Promise ATA133 controller?)
·"BayOne" Compact Flash/Smart Media reader/writer (instead of the Smart Card Reader/writer. This is a big improvement--I actually have Smart Media.)

It still lacks IEEE-1394, but this looks like it would be a good motherboard if it were available.

SageEidolon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:27 am

The SY-KT333 is slated for April 2002.
$178 for the mobo
$198 for mobo and sigma box

Soltek SL-75DRV5 (KT333) is available for $115, but lacks 6-channel sound or a RAID controller.

GigaByte’s 7VRXP (KT-333) is available for $125.

Sounds like the Soyo board will be the best overall, but only due to better sound and overclocking. Not sure that is worth an extra $54...looks like I'll be going with the Gigabyte that JustAnEngineer was kind enough to introduce. Thanks fellas.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:20 pm

Please do not buy a motherboard on my recommendation alone. I have no experience with Gigabyte. I mentioned that motherboard because it was in stock at my favorite on-line vendor. I do have some experience with the Soyo board that you asked about.

Besides the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP, here are a few other KT-333 motherboards that are currently available:

ABIT AT7 MAXX

ASUS A7V333

MSI KT3 Ultra aka MS-6830E

AOpen AK77-333

Biostar M7VIF

EPoX EP-8K3A+

Soltek SL-75DRV5

AMDmb.com is probably a good place to look for links to reviews of the various boards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JustAnEngineer on 2002-03-29 15:35 ]</font>