Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Hello,
I recently purchased a laptop with a Core i7-4510U CPU. I was wondering what are considered safe temperatures for this chip, at both idle and load. Thank you.
Rebbig
Gerbil
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 am

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:41 am

The Ark Page lists the Tjunction at 100c, but that is the absolute maximum and I believe the emergency power-off temperature.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:34 pm
Location: TR Forums

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 am

I know this is going against age-old logic, but with today's processors, you honestly don't need to worry about overheating your CPU. Clean out the vents every 6 months or so and you'll be fine. I've never heard of a modern CPU that died to heat during normal use.

Superspy's link is good. Tjmax is typically 95-105C, and your CPU will automatically throttle itself long before that. Your chip has several sensors and billions of dollars of engineering behind it so that you don't have to worry.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:28 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:I know this is going against age-old logic, but with today's processors, you honestly don't need to worry about overheating your CPU. Clean out the vents every 6 months or so and you'll be fine. I've never heard of a modern CPU that died to heat during normal use.

Superspy's link is good. Tjmax is typically 95-105C, and your CPU will automatically throttle itself long before that. Your chip has several sensors and billions of dollars of engineering behind it so that you don't have to worry.

While you're right, there may still be cause for concern in a couple of scenarios:

1. Laptops or small form factor PC's. If you notice heat starting to build up excessively, other components could be affected, e.g. GPU, motherboard etc. because they can't handle the heat. In laptops and some other small form factor PC's, the heatsink can often be on a piping system tied to other components, and the entire system will have only a single exhaust.
2. It could be an indicator that your heatsink isn't mounted correctly or may have come loose during shipping / handling.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock
JdL
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:45 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:41 am

JdL wrote:1. Laptops or small form factor PC's. If you notice heat starting to build up excessively, other components could be affected, e.g. GPU, motherboard etc. because they can't handle the heat. In laptops and some other small form factor PC's, the heatsink can often be on a piping system tied to other components, and the entire system will have only a single exhaust.
2. It could be an indicator that your heatsink isn't mounted correctly or may have come loose during shipping / handling.

I see your point with 1, but I really disagree that CPU temps are an issue that anyone needs to worry about--so long as they clean their vents out every several months. Additionally, GPUs and motherboards can also handle quite a bit of heat, or at least a lot more than whatever a hot CPU would be giving them. I could cite several personal anecdotes from the Core 2 era onwards (8600M anyone?). The most sensitive component of heat these days is really the battery (its long-term lifespan).
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm suggesting it's not worth worrying about.

I agree with 2.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:...Additionally, GPUs and motherboards can also handle quite a bit of heat, or at least a lot more than whatever a hot CPU would be giving them. I could cite several personal anecdotes from the Core 2 era onwards (8600M anyone?). The most sensitive component of heat these days is really the battery (its long-term lifespan).


I said it because it's true. I do this for a living for office, friends, and family. I have seen numerous laptops fry due to people using them on pillows on their lap (how ironic), fans fail outright, improperly mounted heatsinks, and more. Additionally I've seen SFF and even desktops fail due to bad ventilation. In one case, a guy put his tower in a computer desk (again, ironic!), and left the door closed 24/7 with no ventilation. The hard drive was the first component to go.

Most people don't realize. If you could see your CPU temperatures, compare with what they SHOULD be normally, you will have a pretty good idea that something might be wrong, and be able to take action before any failures occur.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock
JdL
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:45 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Here are some numbers from my work laptop Dell E6410: i7-640M + Nvidia NVS 3100M sitting on a CM Ergo Cooler (fan off). I'll give CPU temps only.
Idle: 56C
Intel Burn Test - 4 threads (CPU @ 3-3.2GHz): 90C (fan not at 100% duty cycle)

From my experience, many laptops will let the CPU get up to around 90C, even if the fan isn't at full RPM. Most likely to keep noise to a minimum. 90C is pretty close to where the CPU would start throttling itself.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Temperatures for Core i7-4510U

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 am

Yeah, most laptops run hot because the cooling is more efficient (less noise and fan speed draining the battery) when the temperature difference between the air and the heatsink is greatest. With 25 degree ambient temperature and a 50W load, the fan only has to move half as much air if the heatsink is at 75C instead of 50C.

Whilst it may not hurt the silicon, heat is bad for mechanical drives and Lithium battery chemistry. A Li-Poly or Li-Ion battery rated for 1000x cycles at 50 degrees will be reduced to 250 cycles if it's always at 75 degrees. If your laptop spends most of its time plugged in as a desktop replacement, it's not a bad idea to remove the battery altogether to to stop it from being heated up by the laptop.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm


Return to Processors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests