Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Java Problem!

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:44 pm

I'm trying to learn Java. One of the problems in the book is to write a program that will count the number of spaces that appear in the string, the number of letters, the number of digits, and it has to count all other special characters. My problem is I don't know where to start. So any help would be appreciated.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:57 pm

––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:32 pm

Here is a link to Sun's Java documentation. It's similar to other documentation (Microsoft's C++ documentation, for example) but better in most ways. In the specific case of MS the Sun documentation is a little more complicated but covers a lot more information and gives you a far better feel for how the language works as a whole and not just howt o "do" something.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/index.html

I think you'll find that most tasks under java are surprisingly easy (well, very each compared to, say, a performance language such as C but fairly hard compared to a **** language like perl).

Specifically, you want to check out java.lang.String and java.util.regex. There are a ton of methods that will help you--the most nieve way would probably be to do something along these lines (I'll assume you know type types):

import java.lang.String;
import java.util.regex.*;

class test {
public static void main(String []args) {

String stringName="123a bc 45 6defg l\t0lNH";
   int letters=0,digits=0;

for (int n=0;n<stringName.length();n++) {
           if( Pattern.matches([a-zA-Z],stringName.charAt(n))  ) {
                   letters++;
           } else if ( Pattern.matches([0-9],stringName.charAt(n))  ) {
                   digits++;
           } // if-else-if
   } // for loop

System.out.println("numbers: "+digits+"\nletters: "+letters);

} // main
} // class test

There are far quicker ways to accomplish this (for one, you'd want to be compiling the regular for reuse) and i'm pretty sure this won't compile (it's closer to perl than java) but it gives you the general idea. So i'm leaving a little excersize for you, i guess. I haven't actually done regular expressions in java without using Jlex so you'll probably run into a problem with those.

If i had to do it myself I'd try to make the code a little more concise and change the decision statements to something slightly more elegant.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:43 pm

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/

Hopefully, you know what a for loop is and how to make one
str = String you are trying to count the letters numbers digits spaces and specials...

// for loop until end of string
Character c = new Character( str.getCharAt( cnt ) );
if( c.isDigit() )
// you should know what to do here...
else if( c.isLetter() )
// and here...
else if( c.isSpaceChar() )
// and here....
else
// and here.

end for loop
That should be enough

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:56 pm

Thanks for all the help guys I think I figured out how to go about with this program. :wink: