Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Visual C++ .NET

Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:53 pm

I can get this (Legally) for $45 USD as a Microsoft Distributor.

Is it worth it?

I currently have a questionable copy of Visual C++ 6
So how fast is your car, anyway?

Oh, about 1200mhz.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:08 pm

Well, generally speaking a legit copy is better than a questionable one. But only you can evaluate your moral and legal peril.

Technically: if you do any significant amount of C++ coding, yes C++ .Net should make you considerably more productive. At $45 -- the price of an A-list game -- it's more than worth it. Coming from 6.0 there will be a bit of a transition: the UI of the dev environment is considerably different. But if you give it chance you should find it to notably improve your coding life (just the dynamic help is worth it, IMO).

Note that while C++.NET allows you to write "managed code" (using the .NET framework and runtime) you can also write plain old statically or dynamically linked, pre-compiled standard C++ just like always (managed code is fully compiled too, but it gets compiled at runtime unless you use NGEN).

On the other hand, if you don't do much C++ coding you might be better off just buying a game. You could always use one of the OSS C++ compilers and add the Ximian stuff if you want .NET (though that's a work in progress).

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:10 pm

Alright, I'll prolly get it then.

Oh, and I just realized, it's $45 CAD, not USD :D

That's almost free!

Oh, about 1200mhz.

Craig P.
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Visual C++ .NET

Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:21 pm

Splinter wrote:
I can get this (Legally) for $45 USD as a Microsoft Distributor.

Is it worth it?

I currently have a questionable copy of Visual C++ 6

Which one, .NET 2002 or .NET 2003? The latter is a substantial improvement over VC6 even setting aside the managed development, since it finally implements a number of long-absent standard features, most notably partial specialization and partial ordering of function templates.

.NET 2002 is less of an improvement; it fixes some bugs (and introduces some new ones) and makes the compiler somewhat more standard-conforming (and of course introduces managed development), but it's not nearly as clear-cut as .NET 2003, especially if you don't like the development environment changes or aren't interested in targeting the .NET platform.

Regardless, you do not have to remove VC6 to install VC.NET, so you lose nothing aside from your money by getting it.

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:14 pm

I ordered it.

It is 2003.

$60 CAD after tax and shipping

Oh, about 1200mhz.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:39 am

Even at $60, its worth it if you are gonna do some serious development on C++. However, if it is just for fun, then stick to some of the free compilers that are out there.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:57 am

Hmm, I didn't realize that VC++ .NET was available that cheaply. Maybe it's finally time to upgrade.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
Hmm, I didn't realize that VC++ .NET was available that cheaply. Maybe it's finally time to upgrade.

It's not unless you work at a Microsoft distributor.

It's normally like $200 or something.

Oh, about 1200mhz.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:21 am

LOL, thought that there was something fishy about the pricing there. Very rarely do M$ software go under $100 (at least the big names, and not games).
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

alimansoorahmad
Gerbil

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:02 pm

How much will vc.net cast, if a university wants to buy it.
Remember that this university has already worked for Microsoft in writing Urdu fonts, one of them is now available, and any one can add it in windows 98,2k,xp.
knowledge has no limits so always be a student.