Teaching myself Java

From Visual Basic to GNU C, this is the place to talk programming.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Teaching myself Java

Postposted on Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:49 pm

I've decided to start teaching myself Java. Does anyone have any links to some free tutorials that are any good? Also, if anyone has any book suggestions, please mention those too. I don't have a lot of programming experience, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. Thanks for your time.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan
eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:40 am

I always scrounge around for the books on the second latest version of the language, because they always seem to go for $5 or so. In my experience most books are decent, but it's only in using the language consistently that you become an expert.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:14 am

Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition
fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:17 pm

Thanks a bunch guys. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan
eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:28 am

On the same topic...is there a stripped version of the compiler somewhere for download? The tutorial does say that you should download the JRK from Sun which is 100mb++.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition
fc34

Postposted on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:24 pm

http://sep.stanford.edu/sep/jon/family/jos/oop/oop1.htm

That's a good place to start if you're not too hot on Object-Orientated Philosophy. Talks about it metaphorically wrt novel writers...

As for books, "Big Java" isn't bad, but it is a bit thick... Very thorough and some useful background stuff as well I suppose... I'll dig out the ISBN when I get back to uni at some point...

Hope that helps, any questions, you know where we are :-D,
-Mole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem
IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:05 am

Thanks, the tutorial is one of the best that I have seen so far on the subject.
fc34

Return to Developer's Den