Coding for how much money?

From Visual Basic to GNU C, this is the place to talk programming.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Coding for how much money?

Postposted on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:00 pm

I was contacted by my District Manager to look into some computer projects (I used VBA) for the District/Company. (I am not a programmer in the company) I have received positive feedback on the first project and the green light to start onto bigger and better projects. Thing is we have skirted around the actual money issue up to now.

Obviously these things take time, and time is worth money, and will save the company money, but I would like to go into negotiations with an idea of how things are costed, what/how people charge, etc.

Any and all advice appreciated.
1900+ at 70C. Saves on heating bills.
And a HP48GX, passively cooled.
Evan_Frame
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:06 pm

Are you asking for a raise due to increased responsibilites or do you want to bill them hourly or by contract?
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:15 pm

Not a raise, my wage comes out of the store and the payments for the projects will come out of head office.

I have just never billed for work like this so I don't know if Contract is the way to go based on how much I think the work will take, or how much to charge if I go hourly.

*Delayed response due to of all things, working out of town.
1900+ at 70C. Saves on heating bills.
And a HP48GX, passively cooled.
Evan_Frame
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:04 pm

If you are informed enough, and you can guess with decent accuracy how long it should take you to do the project, nail down a contract and bid the job. If thier parameters are likely to change, say add more features as you go or change the spec, bill by the hour. To bill by the job, you need them to sign off on what you are expected to deliver down to the last detail. This however has a benefit: If you run under the time, you make out. If you go over, they make out in that it doesn't cost them more. Everyone is happy.

Starting out with 2-5yrs experience, bill $50 an hour +/-$10. Remember you have to pay taxes on that, so put 40% away in a savings account for later. As projects get larger, or are based on older projects you have done for them, you can tweak the price up a bit more. Less than two years, stay under $40 and don't quit the day job, moonlight.

Good luck, and contracting can be a rewarding, but yet sometimes painful job when things go dry. Be sure to ask a few people in your area that you can trust what they get paid or pay out for contract work. (bid a tad under at first until you improve your name and reputation).

-LS
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Developer's Den