Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:49 pm

JBI: yeah, it takes a while to get used to new languges.

I dislike C syntax, I like python's indentation for nesting. I also dislike having to put a semicolon after statements.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:36 am

DaveG wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
VB.NET is just as OO as C#

I didn't realize that VB had OO. How long has that been the case?
UberGerbil wrote:
There are a lot of programmers who have a kind of inferiority complex if they're not using a language with a C-derived syntax
Since .NET, so a couple of years now.
Personally, I don't like C-derived syntax, I find it too abbreviated and not easily readable. Also, I guess I just remember VB (and maybe moreso its predecessor) as being languages that encourage bad programming practices. I didn't realize that this had improved.
Well, bad programming practices are possible in any language. I've seen some pretty appalling program design in C and C++. Having pointer errors crash your program may spank you into being "correct" but it doesn't necessarily make you "good."

I've been programming on and off in C++ for over a decade, and C for longer than that. And I still hate the fact it is case sensitive. Particularly when I'm trying to call SomeLibraryfunctionWithWeirdcapitalization. The human mind doesn't naturally distinguish words that way, and I'd rather not have to bend myself to obey the way the machine wants to view the world.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:31 am

UberGerbil wrote:
I've been programming on and off in C++ for over a decade, and C for longer than that. And I still hate the fact it is case sensitive. Particularly when I'm trying to call SomeLibraryfunctionWithWeirdcapitalization. The human mind doesn't naturally distinguish words that way, and I'd rather not have to bend myself to obey the way the machine wants to view the world.

And again... I say it is all a matter of what you're accustomed to. I found the lack of case sensitivity in Transact-SQL annoying! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:36 am

UberGerbil wrote:

That's what Autocomplete / Intellisense are for surely? :D

Craig P.
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:45 pm

DaveG wrote:
I didn't realize that VB had OO. How long has that been the case?

It's had "enough" OO since VB4, depending on your definition of "enough". Which is to say, I've found that the "abstract inheritance" interface model shared by VB4/5/6 and COM to be adequate to my needs. But then, I've never been huge on inheritance, so YMMV.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:00 pm

Not to go off topic, but what are your opinions about: TCL/KL?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:02 pm

malebolgia wrote:
Not to go off topic, but what are your opinions about: TCL/KL?
If you haven't done any programming language before, sure it is a good one to look at. If you already have some background in one language or another (like Java or C++), then you may be better off just go with those languages.

C# and the CLR may seem better than Java and the JVM most likely because of the hindsight lessons learned from earlier Java implementations. While I believe we shouldn't be too hard on Sun, but still they could have done better I guess.