Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Do you hate macrmedia Dreamwever 8

Yes
3 (75%)
Yes
1 (25%)

Total votes: 4

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

dreamweaver 8- avoid like the plague

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:39 am

GOD does it suck. honestly It's nice looking and way faster after it chaches everything. BUT, and DAMNIT DO I MEAN BUT:

I totally bones your pages. I had templates i made in mx2004, with all kinds of links on them, and when i downloaded them all into versionn 8 it thought it would be a good idea to totall **** the relative paths of 100's of links, none of which are working now. It ads "/templates" to the beginning of every link. NOWHERE did I ask it to do that. While technically correct, When I did this in mx 2004 it knew where all my pages where, in the folder below. So I had to go back and manually add "../" to EVERY FSKING LINK, so it knows to drill out of the template folder to look for the file. HOW FSKING RETARTED. WHY WOULD THEY IMPLEMENT THIS!?!?!?

WTF :evil:

It's late, im irritated (read: complete pissed). I'll post a more cohesive and descriptive story later today.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:41 am

i don't let dreamweaver manage any of my links.

that's right i go in there and code every **** thing by hand, but am i bitter? :D

i tunes screwed up all the names of my 4,000 songs too because i made the mistake of clicking let i tunes manage my songs or somesuch.

i hate software assisted management.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:30 pm

We're still missing the "cheese" option on the poll anyway :(

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:32 pm

I carve my websites in cheese and hire data entry gerbils for transcription purposes.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:53 am

didnt vote because i dont have it, but I probably will pick up a copy sometime.

<a href="http://www.context.cx/">Context </a>is also a nice text editor.

as for editing the links, is there no option to change to correct this?
I would look into it further before ranting.. unless you already have.

and if you have.. fire off an angry e-mail to macromedia.. maybe they will correct it in time for me ;)

cept i dont really do much with it anyways..
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:58 am

Is arachnophilia still around?
Looks like it is. That's what I used to use back when I did html in HS
http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

EDIT, last updated in 2003. Oh well. I can't stand WYSIWYG editors. I prefer the straight code so much more, but don't mind things like the above linked that color-code or show w/ tags tabbed for me.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:33 am

I'm still convinced that DW8 is bugged in respect to its link management. Whether you choose root or document relative, it bones you links if they were already there, or set from a template. When I have 15 templates for a site (multiple accessible regions depending on user auth. thne we ahve a huge **** problem.

OTOH DWmx2004 never gave me any problems, and I'm not one to advocate DW out of the gate normally, I recommend learning as much html, asp, vbscript etc as you can and using DW only as a means to increase productivity with its built in -generally useful - features. 8 is a huge dissapointment just because of its link management via templates.

Other thna that its better css support is a welcome change as is its formatting of my code in so far as that in ends tags self closes its tags now etc.

I used to do all my webpages via ntoepad, then I got lazy but more productive. Then 8 **** on me. *sigh*

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:15 am

All of the "vi wars" posts have been split off to this thread.

-- Mike
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:19 am

Going on a tangent here, I've got a curious brain-arrangement for navigation keys. It's really weird: if it's a first person shooter, then I can do just fine with WASD. Must be related with having the mouse in the other hand. However, if it's some sort of other game, I always use IJKL (which has the same shape as WASD, except it's for the right hand). No matter how hard I try, I can't play a non-FPS game with WASD. Really weird :)

And as far as the link management of DW goes, have you checked if it's not caused by some weird option related to links, in the project or the program's configuration?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:32 am

morphine wrote:
...And as far as the link management of DW goes, have you checked if it's not caused by some weird option related to links, in the project or the program's configuration?

According to their F1 help and their website, it you have to choose document relative, or root relative. I don't know if it works with a new site from scratch, but I can tell you that NEITHER work with a previously built and managed site.

Document relative, atleast with a site I had already defined, does not work how it should. If I have a template, with links on it, and this template resides in a folder called template with the pages it links to sitting just outside that folder, then ALL links, relative to this document, should be../link.htm

however it doesn't work that way, it just throws the word "template" infront of it and off you go. dw2k4 didn't even bother with this junk, why add this terrible "feature" now? When you look at your link it will say link.htm but when you view the page it shows /template/link.htm and oviously won't work. I am not the only one with this problem, there are LOTS of posts on the dev boards with regards to 8. :evil: