Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Asin
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

C++: Iterators / Going Through A Deque

Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:23 pm

This is really hurting my brain. I'm trying to figure out why the following two code segments do different things with std::deque objects.

void CardPile::addToPile (CardPile & otherPile) {
    for (std::deque<Card*>::iterator iter = otherPile.pile.begin ();
        iter != otherPile.pile.end (); iter++) {
        pile.push_back (&(otherPile.removeTopCard ()));
    } // end for
} // end addToPile

for (int i = 0; i < otherPile.size (); i++) {
    } // end for
} // end addToPile

pile is an std::deque object. The iterator works as expected, but for some reason, the second piece of code doesn't. I'd ignore this, but the first code segment isn't using the iterator (directly), so I like to avoid losing marks as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm

output the value of the 'i' variable in the loop and make sure that the size() function is reporting the right size, and that the values of i make sense. it might help you figure out where things are going wrong.

for (int i = 0; i < otherPile.size (); i++) {
        cout << "i: " << i << endl;
    } // end for
} // end addToPile
Last edited by sativa on Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: C++: Iterators / Going Through A Deque

Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:49 pm

Asin wrote:
pile is an std::deque object. The iterator works as expected, but for some reason, the second piece of code doesn't. I'd ignore this, but the first code segment isn't using the iterator (directly), so I like to avoid losing marks as much as possible.

Could it be because the size of otherPile is changing as you remove cards (as your for loop termination condition isn't the original size but the current size)?

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: C++: Iterators / Going Through A Deque

Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:54 pm

bitvector wrote:
Asin wrote:

Could it be because the size of otherPile is changing as you remove cards (as your for loop termination condition isn't the original size but the current size)?

good call. it would be performed each time the loop is iterated.

he needs to retrieve the value of the size before entering the loop, and store that in a seperate variable.

int otherPileSize = otherPile.size();
    for (int i = 0; i < otherPileSize; i++) {
    } // end for
} // end addToPile
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

Asin
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:01 pm

I think that you're right bitvector. It looks like that's the problem. I would definitely explain why a trace would output only 0 and 1 for i on deques of size 3.

Thanks you two.

Craig P.
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:36 am

In my experience, changing the size of a container underfoot while I'm iterating over it has caused a lot of pain.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:58 am

Craig P. wrote:
In my experience, changing the size of a container underfoot while I'm iterating over it has caused a lot of pain.
Yes, this is a classic error and it's why Java and the .NET languages (among others) have the "for each" construct to ensure you can iterate across a collection without hitting it (even if you're deleting elements or otherwise changing the collection).

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:02 am

UberGerbil wrote:
Craig P. wrote:

Yes, this is a classic error and it's why Java and the .NET languages (among others) have the "for each" construct to ensure you can iterate across a collection without hitting it (even if you're deleting elements or otherwise changing the collection).

Indeed.

I've been burned by this "stupid programmer trick" a number of times myself. Probably ranks right up there with the classic "off by one" error, in terms of common programming mistakes.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:28 am

Let me see if I can add some more here.

I would say both approaches are not too good. The 2nd one we already explained why because the size of the other pile keeps changing and you are not starting the for loop from scratch every time. The 1st one works for you with the iterator because you are popping the elements in front of the iterator, which for a deque is ok becuase the iterator is not (?) bidirectional and it just so happens the iterator remains valid after you remove the element in the collection. If the collection is LIFO (only remove last available) then you are screwed.

I would argue that semantically, even the "for each" construct is misleading and may eventually lead to errors if the underlying implementation of the iterator (example: in .NET you are implementing an interface if you are creating a new collection class, and it could be a badly implemented one which is not as robust as the FCL).

Since the code is about removing elements from another collection into your own collection, to make the code more explicit you should probably not use the iterator approach at all (unless constrained by access restrictions and/or assignment instructions). If I were to write that piece of code I would do the following. The basic idea is to use the while loop and clearly express the logic as "while the otherPile still has something keep removing items from it". IMO it makes more readable code.

void CardPile::addToPile(CardPile& otherPile)
{
    while (otherPile.size() > 0)
    {
        pile.push_back(&(otherPile.removeTopCard()));
    } // end while
} // end addToPile
(In reality there can be a performance hit for this approach, but for CS assignments usually it is about logical correctness, right?)

Now, after all of us have given our input for your little assignment, how many more Folding boxen are you contributing for our effort? :wink: