Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Ma10n3!
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Chapman & Hall/CRC Press

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:14 pm

So, anyone here have some books by the publisher(s) Chapman & Hall/CRC Press?

I was looking for some good foundational books, even textbooks, on "neural computing" and come across one published by them. After looking through their website a few books now on my wish list are:

The books are fairly pricey but not necessarily in relation to the quality of the content, or so it appears browsing through the related pages for each book. Anyone here use these at home/work/school? Any others by the same publisher(s)? What's your opinion(s) of those you have read/used?

Edit:
Who is CRC Press?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRC Press
In 1973, the Chemical Rubber Company sold their manufacturing division and related activities. Concentrating exclusively on publishing, the name was changed to CRC Press, Inc. In 1986, CRC was purchased by Times Mirror Company and subsequently expanded its product line to include a broad range of textbooks and references for scientific, medical, and technical professionals. Information Ventures LLC, in partnership with Warburg Pincus, purchased CRC Press in January 1997 and changed its name to CRC Press LLC. CRC Press became a publicly held company under the ownership of Information Holdings, Inc (IHI) in August 1998. In April 2003, one great tradition joined another as CRC Press became part of the Taylor & Francis Group of companies. Founded in 1798, Taylor & Francis is a leading international academic publisher devoted to disseminating scholarly information of the highest quality.
. . .
Chapman & Hall / CRC
Under the ownership of IHI, CRC acquired the prestigious Chapman & Hall statistics and mathematics list from Kluwer Publishers, as well as the Pitman Mathematics Program from Addison-Wesley Longman.

Considering this and the scholarly authors of the works listed above perhaps credibility isn't in question . . .

What about readability for an undergraduate?
Napoleon Bonaparte: 1812--Height of power; Adolf Hitler: 1912--Beginning; Black Horseman: 2012--?; Yellow/Gray?

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:32 am

Ma10n3! wrote:
The books are fairly pricey but not necessarily in relation to the quality of the content, or so it appears browsing through the related pages for each book. Anyone here use these at home/work/school? Any others by the same publisher(s)? What's your opinion(s) of those you have read/used?

CRC Press generally has very good stuff, but I think they're often quite overpriced (the CRC Handbook of Etchants for Metals and Metallic Compounds is > $400!). The prices for these books aren't so bad, but what is your goal here? Looking at the descriptions, these books cover a variety of topics (the first one looks like a 20 countries in 7 days type of thing). If you're trying to build a library of texts spanning a fairly broad subset of computer science, I'd recommend going with the "classic" texts in various areas (books that are considered standard bearers in their area). I guess it all depends on your goals.