ASP

From Visual Basic to GNU C, this is the place to talk programming.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

ASP

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:13 am

What do you require to serve .asp pages?

I currently have two PCs linked together, both running WinXP Pro. Is there anyway I can put .asp pages on one and force the browser on the other to use the HTTP protocol instead of the FILE protocol to process the files? I hope this question makes sense.
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:26 am

I can't remember exactly where it's found, but all you need is IIS (Internet Information Server) running on the one you want the ASP pages on. I seem to remember downloading it from MS or something, or possibly it's a component on the install CD (not installed at install time though).
Do I get a prize for saying the word "install" three times in one sentence?
BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:31 am

Okie, got that setup, er.. so how does one use it?
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:54 am

That's a really broad question - I would recommend grabbing a book on setting up a website under IIS or possibly searching google.com
b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:10 am

Sorry for that, the only thing I want to use it for is to test some basic .asp pages, just for debugging purposes. Not really wanting to setup a website or anything.
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:54 am

Unfortunately it's a while since I used IIS so I can't remember exactly how to do things. I think the control doodad is in Adminstrative Tools (assuming XP does that the same way as 2K, I forget); basically you just click the big button (I forget what it says - something like "Start"), then you should be able to view the page in a browser. There may be a few settings to tweak but I don't remember there being anything very difficult.

Sorry I'm being so utterly vague!
BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:18 am

IIS is under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. There's a pile of readmes, hehe.. I'll just read through before posting anymore questions. Thanks :D
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:19 pm

If you've already installed IIS, then all you have to do now is place your files on its webroot, which is by default c:/inetpub/wwwroot. After that, you're set to go, unless you want some weird configuration other than the default. And btw, make sure you firewall this PC from the outside, IIS has more holes than a good-quality swiss cheese.
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:32 pm

What kind of firewall would I need? Currently only enable the ones offered by XP itself. I'm using a 56k, so I doubt anyone can really truck stuff off my computer, just worried bout system admin stuff. The partition I have WinXP on isn't shared, so it shouldn't be a problem would it?
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:03 pm

Just setup IIS so that it only accepts local/LAN connections.
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Return to Developer's Den