Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Who's down with Javascript?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Javascript a.k.a. Jscript a.k.a. ECMAscript a.k.a. JS a.k.a. Livescript...

Who here is playing in this sandbox?

I've started using it with the new website. I wrote one semi-serious function, so far, to determine which link in the navigation menu to highlight based on a match() in document.URL. That way I can re-use the same html in every webpage and never have to manually apply the CSS. Pretty fun.

So, anyway, any javascript ninjas here?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Who's down with Javascript?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Definitely not ninja, but know just enough of it to be dangerous. It's been on my ever-expanding "I need to learn more about that" list for a couple of years now.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

balzi
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 am

learnt just enough to make the charting utility I bought do exactly what I want. It is so clunky, and when I had to first create a live data-array from PHP, so that javascript could access it, I decided against using unless all else fails, including putting red-hot pins under my finger-nails and eating barbed-wire.

but maybe I'm biased ;)

edit: jeepers - must be too late for me.. I'll make my English gooder next time.
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:04 am

I think I may just qualify for the ninja title. :)

What's disappointing is that most people think of JS as something to create kiddy animations and gaudy effects. It's not true. Every usable, clean web application out there uses JS, in one form or the other, to make the interface that much more usable.

As I mentioned in another thread before, once you have the basics going, research into a library/toolkit/framework of some sort to make your productivity surge. Trust me, once you've started using, say, jQuery on a daily basis you'll rarely want to go back to writing raw JS.

If you really want to see some awesome, mind boggling stuff, check these out.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:09 am

Not sure if I'm a ninja yet or not (probably not :lol:) but echoing LordT's suggestions for using a library like JQuery. It keeps commonly used functionality neat and readily usable without a ton of extra DOM traversing, looping, logic, etc needing to be written to accomplish X task. On the other hand, it might also keep you from learning the basics of how to manipulate the DOM, for example, without it.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:13 am

lordT wrote:
What's disappointing is that most people think of JS as something to create kiddy animations and gaudy effects. It's not true. Every usable, clean web application out there uses JS, in one form or the other, to make the interface that much more usable.

Yeah, I found this to be a solid indicator that there's probably a lot more to Javascript than it may initially seem.

As for JQuery and other such libraries, I definitely intend to get a better understanding of what they do and how they could be of use to me.

Congrats on your ninja status lordT. :P

Oh, yeah, I just ordered this book

morphine
TR Staff

Thu May 27, 2010 11:43 am

I'm not a Javascript ninja but I'm probably a blue belt or something. Lately I've been digging more into it mostly due to JQuery, which as I've posted in the other thread, makes JavaScript actually usable.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Dropping by to say that jQuery is fantastic.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Told ya.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Yes, you did. The thing that jQuery lacks is a tutorial for total javascript beginners. jQuery is no use until you know at least a little bit about javascript; am I right? I am very glad that you guys pointed me to jQuery. It's incredibly cool.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Yes, you did. The thing that jQuery lacks is a tutorial for total javascript beginners

I agree, the tutorial in the JQuery docs section is pretty weak. I mean, it's understandable, sure, but once you read it you're probably going to think "riiiight, and this is useful to me how?". It's not until you read some examples that the whole thing clicks.

terminalrecluse
Gerbil

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:01 pm

probably because you can't appreciate the experience without first doing all the hardwork of JS without Jquery.