Any decent cases on the market?

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Any decent cases on the market?

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:16 am

Are there any decent ATX or mini-ATX cases on the market suitable for a HTPC? I mean I've looked all through Directron and Newegg and I have to wonder who would put something as ugly as these in there living rooms. Anyways there has to be something so I turn to you guys! Any suggestions? Oh it has to be / come in silver.
Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:33 am

Ok, well...when I started I was about to reccomend most of the ones you just looked at... :lol:

Are you opposed to something custom? If so...I was toying with this idea.
Find on Ebay (or garage sale) a nice brushed-alum. Pre-Amp or Tuner...gut it and put in your mini-itx or uATX board/PSU/ etc etc...

Would look GREAT if you added a Matrix Orbital (or equiv) display as well...of course remote and all that HTPC stuff as well...

Something like this! (The TOP one is PERFECT!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=14974

:D
JavaMoose
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:38 am

Christ that's brilliant! THANK YOU, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm off to hunt down the perfect unit. Oh man I'm so excited now! :lol:
Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:44 am

Chaseme wrote:Christ that's brilliant! THANK YOU, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm off to hunt down the perfect unit. Oh man I'm so excited now! :lol:

:lol: Glad you liked the idea! Hey, you MUST post pics when you get it finished!! Lol, it'll cost you tons less that a sff/htpc case anyways...gives you room to play with hardware.

Hey, if you don't want to use a PCI Riser card (like in 1U/2U cases) you might want to look for a TALL Amp...there were a bunch of older ones that had very basic/plain faces...gives you freedom for display/etc. But, for the stereo-philes out ther (me included) PLEASE don't kill a good amp like a Yamaha/Marantz/Nakamichi/etc... :o

You DO have a dremel, right? :wink:
JavaMoose
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:12 am

I do have a Dremel and can appreciate the good ol amps of yesteryear. I have this old Toshiba that I love to death so I'm not going near it. On the other hand I have a Yamaha tape deck with a burnt out motor. It doesn't run anymore and I can make use of it since full PCI/AGP cards would fit in hight wise. It has two needle VU meter's on the front to so I'm going to HAVE to get those going. Oh man I can't wait to get home tonight now!
Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:18 am

Here's another option:
http://www.coolermasterusa.com/Product.aspx?ID=18
It comes in silver, too.
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:58 am

That Coolermaster is the best one I've seen really. Do they make it though? I though they were discontinued or something. Anyways if I get lazy I suppose I'll check into it but I'm liking this modding an old stereo part thing right now.
Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:17 am

I'm not sure, I've seen it on pricewatch but it does seem like Coolermaster is discontinuing all their most interesting stuff lately.
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:21 am

Steel wrote:Here's another option:
http://www.coolermasterusa.com/Product.aspx?ID=18
It comes in silver, too.

I have seen that one in person (CompUSA carries them) VERY nice, but it costs ~$120 - $150!!! More like $150-$190 for the silver one...

Hell, one of the 4U cases I looked at for my duallie system is only $130, lightweight Alum, and SILVER...
http://www.eramax.com/r19al4uramoc.html

But I still like the old AMP idea better. :D
JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:30 am

They also have the ATC-620 for about $90, which is the same thing but steel instead of aluminum.
Anyway, this case is all about looks, they can be expected to charge a little more ;).
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to SFF Station