Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Help with SN45G....please.....

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:20 am

I've got a used SN45G sitting here and I can't get it to boot up, not even to the BIOS settings.
When I plug it in the little internal green LED goes on, when I power it up the fans start up and the CD led flickers, then nothing else.

I've tried going with only one stick of ram, (Kingston Value ram) in each of it's slots. I've tried switching video cards.... both an ATI 9700 AIW Pro and an Nvidia 5200. I've also re-set the BIOS jumper twice.
The CPU is brand a brand new Barton 2500+, the video cards and ram work fine in other systems, and I've upgraded the PSU to the 250w model.

Help?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

redmouse
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:25 am

does this particular model come with onboard video? what i'm getting at is your shuttle might be displaying through onboard video instead of the video card
All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:30 am

No, it doesn't come with an IGP.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:37 am

Doh, it sounds as if your BIOS is hosed. If you had anyone else local that had the same system, you could always do the Live BIOS swap. You verify that the other person's BIOS will POST in your SFF, then while the system is still powered on, swap the BIOS with your dead BIOS and flash the system.

The only other suggestion is swapping the RAM module. I know its a Kingston, but on the off chance that the default timings that are picked up by the SPD settings in the BIOS are incorrect for that module, it's possible that it won't POST. You've verified all other settings that I can see including the power supply, so I'd go the easy route and start with memory. I believe you can order a replacement flash chip for your box. Or, if you know anyone else at a computer store, swap the BIOS chip.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

-E

JediNinjaWizards
Irritating Rash

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:46 am

I don't know why the machine wont boot, it seems like you covered all the bases. Did you try clearing the CMOS? Does the machine give a certain number of beeps when it tries to boot?

Failing those, I would be willing to mail you the BIOS chip from my SN45G if you'd like to try the LIVE BIOS thingy.
Shuttle SN25P nForce4 & A64 4000 939 90nm
1024MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS2
ATI RADEON X850XT 256MB PCIE
Dual 74GB 10K WD RaptoRAID XP Pro SP2

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:04 am

Yes, I've cleared CMOS....a couple of times. I also tried some PC2100, just to see if the DDR400 was trying to run too fast for the system. Still no joy. After doing some reading it looks like there's an issue with this version of the SN45G that sounds like my problem....:
Sounds exactly like someone tried upping the VDimm (rev2 mobo only) Then blew out the mobo, like has happened to a MILLION other people. Seach for SN45G VDimm. You'll get 1000+ threads but they should help you decide if this is the problem.

Anyway, I'll just have to get a new board for this machine.... :(

DAPUNISHER
Gerbil

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:40 pm

I have the SN45G and you definitely should not increase the vDIMM on this system. I've been running a unlocked [email protected] [2700+ speed] 333fsb dual channel synch mode with Corsair VS 2700DDR for many months now and it's been a rock running F@H 24/7. Mine came with the ACHME PSU. Great SFF if you know it's limitations, so I suggest you RMA it and try again since it's a great lil' box otherwise.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:06 pm

Yeah, forgot there is an issue with upping the VDIMM and the rev.2 on these boards. Might be time to RMA the box :( . If you go over to the Sudhian forums and do a search, there's a nice sized thread about the dangers of this particular rev. of board and overclocking.

-E

Ah, here it is:

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.c ... SGDBTABLE=

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:42 pm

I've had this problem before with my own SN42G2. It was often a memory issue, I had thought. But it turned out to be an IDE connection issue. What I had to do was be certain that my secondary ribbon cable was securely seated. It was cause my system to not boot for a long time. As in, I spent a couple of days not knowing what was wrong. I took everything apart and out of my cube. I have onboard video and I tried getting it to just post with CPU and RAM. Nothing worked. Turned out that the ribbon connection was freaky. Also, if you are running to sticks of RAM, try switching them around. I actually found some success with this. I think it was more that the RAM was connected well, even though it was truly seated correctly. Anyway, good luck with it.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8