Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Shuttles will not Boot!!!

Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:12 pm

Perhaps one of the more experienced Shuttle owners here can help. I purchased a Shuttle SS51G box from NewEgg. I also bought a 2.40A GHz P4 CPU, and a 512MB Transcend DDR 333 RAM stick. I added a floppy, an 80GB Maxtor HDD, and a LiteOn CDRW. Did not opt for videocard because of on-board video chipset.

I installed all of the components, turned it on, and waited for the magic to start. The power light and reset light both came on, the CD light came on, the fans started, and nothing else happened. No video output, no POST, no beeps, no action from the CD drive (would not even eject its tray). Machine would not even turn off/recycle if power or reset buttons were pushed.

I RMA'd the box, the CPU and the RAM. Just got the new set, and tried it again. Same result. I tried it without the CD, the HDD, the floppy, the RAM, and even the CPU. No joy. It's like the motherboards are cooked or something. Or, I'm doing something consistently wrong.

Has anybody seen this behavior? What do I need to do?

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:47 pm

Hello and welcome to the TR forums. Sounds to me as if the Shuttle box and Transend memory don't like each other. What you are describing is the natural behavior of a Shuttle box who doesn't either like the memory or, doesn't like the default SPD timings the BIOS sets. Therefore, it doesn't register memory.

If you have another stick of a different brand of memory, try that first. Also, try resetting the CMOS jumper to clear out any unwanted settings. Again, if I were a wagering kind of guy, I'd say its a compatibility issue with the memory and the Shuttle Box.

Regards,

-E

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:04 pm

mstrmold wrote:
Hello and welcome to the TR forums. Sounds to me as if the Shuttle box and Transend memory don't like each other. What you are describing is the natural behavior of a Shuttle box who doesn't either like the memory or, doesn't like the default SPD timings the BIOS sets. Therefore, it doesn't register memory.

If you have another stick of a different brand of memory, try that first. Also, try resetting the CMOS jumper to clear out any unwanted settings. Again, if I were a wagering kind of guy, I'd say its a compatibility issue with the memory and the Shuttle Box.

Regards,

-E

- - - - - -

I specifically bought this stick of RAM to avoid a conflict. I looked up the supported RAM list for this model (http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/s ... 0(FS51V2.x)&page=2) and thought this model of RAM was compatible. Also, isn't the Phoenix BIOS supposed to beep a code if the RAM doesn't check out?

I guess I could still clear the CMOS and see what happens. Something tells me this is not going to work, though.

O

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Cleared CMOS, new Memory - still no joy

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:02 am

Well, I went to CircuitCity this morning, got a stick of Kingston memory (512MB PC2700 CL2.5 DDR). I installed it, no joy. I cleared the CMOS, no joy. What is up with these Shuttles??? I would have thought that this would be a slam dunk!!

Any other ideas?

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:07 pm

Ok, I might have this figured out. You installed a 2.40A which is a Hyperthreaded CPU. The SS51G doesn't support hyperthreaded CPU's!

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/s ... 0(FS51V1.x)

1. CPU internal core bus speed runs at 400/533MHz. 2. *SS51G does not support Intel CPU with Hyper-Threading Technology, but there is no problem running such CPU.

Or, at least the rev. 1.x models don't. Verify the rev of board your Shuttle has. It says that there isn't a problem with running it, but depending on what rev the BIOS is flashed to, there might be a problem but I cannot say for sure. Let us know what rev. of board you have so we might narrow this down further.

Regards,

Ed

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:11 pm

mstrmold wrote:
Ok, I might have this figured out. You installed a 2.40A which is a Hyperthreaded CPU. The SS51G doesn't support hyperthreaded CPU's!

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/s ... 0(FS51V1.x)

1. CPU internal core bus speed runs at 400/533MHz. 2. *SS51G does not support Intel CPU with Hyper-Threading Technology, but there is no problem running such CPU.

Or, at least the rev. 1.x models don't. Verify the rev of board your Shuttle has. It says that there isn't a problem with running it, but depending on what rev the BIOS is flashed to, there might be a problem but I cannot say for sure. Let us know what rev. of board you have so we might narrow this down further.

Regards,

Ed

Umm the 2.4GHz A do NOT support Hyperthreading.. That is the "C" Line. And even if the board doesn't support Hyperthreading, you can still use it but you can't take advantage of Hyperthreading.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:11 pm

Hmm, it's probably because it doesn't support Prescott CPUs, because IIRC the 2.4As have hyperthreading disabled...

On the page you linked...
Remarks

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:36 pm

Yahoolian wrote:
Hmm, it's probably because it doesn't support Prescott CPUs, because IIRC the 2.4As have hyperthreading disabled...

On the page you linked...
Remarks

But the 2.4A is a Northwood core, not Prescott.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:14 pm

But the 2.4A is a Northwood core, not Prescott.

Intel did release 2.4A Prescotts.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 178&depa=1

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:21 pm

Yahoolian wrote:

Weird.

I thought all Precotts were supposed to have an "E" suffix?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:23 pm

Weird.

I thought all Precotts were supposed to have an "E" suffix?

They use E for the ones that have hyperthreading enabled, and A for the hyperthreading disabled prescotts.

DAPUNISHER
Gerbil

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yahoolian wrote:

Weird.

I thought all Prescotts were supposed to have an "E" suffix?
Intel has done a fine job of confusing people reusing the A :x

BTW, it does sound like a compatability problem, I'd exchange it for a northwood since they tend to be slightly faster@the same clockspeed until the speed ramps beyond 3.5ghz+

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:03 pm

Arg. My mistake. I meant to watch out for Prescotts. I read the quote from Shuttles support page for this box and noticed that there wasn't any mention of the Prescott CPU but my brain said HyperThread because of the quote. Thanks for all who pointed this out. As stated, this looks to be a compatibility issue with the newer Intel core and this box.

-E

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Prescott CPU

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:07 pm

Turns out that's precisely the CPU I have in the Shuttle - a Prescott core 2.40GHz P4. So it may be the hyperthreading issue that does this. Alsthough I do have a FS51 V2.0 motherboard in the Shuttle... does this mobo have the same problem with hyperthreading cores?

Thanks for your help!

Oren

Joeg_7
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:24 pm

Intel is smoking to much crack. Longer pipeline, hotter core, equal or less performance? I perfer AMD just because of the price to performance ratio and still like Intel just can't afford it and now it seems wouldn't buy it even if I could. When Intel gets there 90nm process fixed and adds 64bit extentions they'll be back on top but for now AMD is king.

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:39 pm

Joeg_7 wrote:
Intel is smoking to much crack. Longer pipeline, hotter core, equal or less performance? I perfer AMD just because of the price to performance ratio and still like Intel just can't afford it and now it seems wouldn't buy it even if I could. When Intel gets there 90nm process fixed and adds 64bit extentions they'll be back on top but for now AMD is king.

That may or may not be true - doesn't help me with my current quandry, though...

Joeg_7
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:33 pm

sorry my last post was off topic. If flashing your bios doesn't work uhoh.

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:46 pm

mstrmold wrote:
Arg. My mistake. I meant to watch out for Prescotts. I read the quote from Shuttles support page for this box and noticed that there wasn't any mention of the Prescott CPU but my brain said HyperThread because of the quote. Thanks for all who pointed this out. As stated, this looks to be a compatibility issue with the newer Intel core and this box.

-E

The Prescott incompatibility is not supposed to affect the SS51G V2 model (which is the one I have). Can it be anything besides another motherboard failure?

O

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:22 pm

When you say you RMA'd the Box, Memory and CPU, I tak it you purchased all three from the same vendor? They should be able to "test" this configuration to see that they work before sending it back out to you. I'm just having a hard time with them all being swapped out and having the exact same problem. If you can rule out the individual components being faulty, then it's probably some sort of compatibility issue.

Also, make sure it was swapped out. On a couple of occations of taking stuff back that was DOA to a local electronics store with no mention of name (cough, Frys, cough), I told the person the processor was dead and went to pickup my new "replacement" processor. Guess what I got? Thats right, the same processor. How did I know? It had some of the thermal paste on the top of the chip. Heh, they tried to tell me that they come that way from Intel. :o

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:27 pm

mstrmold wrote:
When you say you RMA'd the Box, Memory and CPU, I tak it you purchased all three from the same vendor? They should be able to "test" this configuration to see that they work before sending it back out to you. I'm just having a hard time with them all being swapped out and having the exact same problem. If you can rule out the individual components being faulty, then it's probably some sort of compatibility issue.

Also, make sure it was swapped out. On a couple of occations of taking stuff back that was DOA to a local electronics store with no mention of name (cough, Frys, cough), I told the person the processor was dead and went to pickup my new "replacement" processor. Guess what I got? Thats right, the same processor. How did I know? It had some of the thermal paste on the top of the chip. Heh, they tried to tell me that they come that way from Intel. :o

Interesting experience. I'm pretty sure mine were really swapped out. NewEgg is a pretty high quality operation. I think the problem is the Prescott core incompatibility issue. There is not much information on the Prescott issue, but just enough to concern me. I'm sending back the CPU and will get a Celeron instead. I'm crossing my fingers. I really can't believe that I'd get 2 dead mobo's in a row.

-O

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:39 pm

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:42 pm

the_silver_bullet24 wrote:

Why not a Celery? I don't intend to do any gaming on it, so processing power is not a huge issue. Also, I'm not entirely sold on the low-power PSU with the SS51G. I'd be be happier with a CPU that sucks less juice out of the small PSU.

-O

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:48 pm

osagher wrote:
Why not a Celery? I don't intend to do any gaming on it, so processing power is not a huge issue. Also, I'm not entirely sold on the low-power PSU with the SS51G. I'd be be happier with a CPU that sucks less juice out of the small PSU.

-O

Shuttles can handle it. I didn't realize you didn't need processing power.
Why didn't you go for an AMD based system? AMDs are priced close to celerys and AMD kicks its ass in everyway.

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:57 pm

osagher wrote:

-O

Shuttles can handle it. I didn't realize you didn't need processing power.
Why didn't you go for an AMD based system? AMDs are priced close to celerys and AMD kicks its ass in everyway.

You get no argument from me regarding AMD vs. Celery. However, I'm stuck with the Shuttle box I have and need it basically as a Linux server/home media box, so will not sweat the loss of CPU power. I just need the darn thing to boot up already!

Cheers,

-O

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

OK - P4 2.4B it is

Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:47 am

I thought about it some more, and decided to go with the 2.4B GHz P4 chip as you suggest...

Thanks for the input...

O

osagher
Gerbil
Topic Author

SS51G Problem answered - follow-up

Sat May 01, 2004 8:17 am

Just to save some other poor soul from going through the same pain that I did, here is the follow-up to the story. I swapped out the P4 2.4A GHz Chip (Prescott core) for a P4 2.4B GHz (Northwood core). The machine booted up no problem, and has been purring like a satisfied cat ever since. This is proof that the SS51G Version 2 box is NOT COMPATIBLE with Prescott core CPU's.

Happy that's over with!!