SFF with 2 5.25" drives

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

SFF with 2 5.25" drives

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:24 pm

There's a lot to choose from, so I'll throw this out to the experts: I need a SFF case that can hold 2x5.25" drives, if such a thing exists. Any recommendations?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:52 pm

Go to Newegg's SFF page, enter "2" in the box for "Bays - External 5.25", and choose one. There are some Asus ones that are sort of mini-towers, bigger than most true SFF systems. Also Soltek's QBiC line, which I've never seen reviews of. Those ones look almost identical to Shuttle cudes, but without the awesome heatpipe sink that the Shuttles have. That means they're probably a lot noisier.
Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:07 pm

Klyith wrote:Go to Newegg's SFF page, enter "2" in the box for "Bays - External 5.25", and choose one. There are some Asus ones that are sort of mini-towers, bigger than most true SFF systems. Also Soltek's QBiC line, which I've never seen reviews of. Those ones look almost identical to Shuttle cudes, but without the awesome heatpipe sink that the Shuttles have. That means they're probably a lot noisier.

I built a Qbic system for my mother about a year ago, with the following specs:

Pentium 4 2.6C
512mb PC3200
80gb Seagate drive
Yamaha DVD/CDRW
Asusu 16x DVD-RW

System has been great - stable and extremely quiet, nearly silent in fact, using Intel's stock HSF. Used the black Qbic w/mirrored front. Definitely recommended.
FlippedGazelle
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:29 pm

FlippedGazelle wrote:I built a Qbic system for my mother about a year ago, with the following specs:
Pentium 4 2.6C <snip>

System has been great - stable and extremely quiet, nearly silent in fact, using Intel's stock HSF. Used the black Qbic w/mirrored front. Definitely recommended.
That's good to know. But I wouldn't want to try one with a prescott. No way it could keep one of them cool with the limited exhaust it has. I even wonder if the Qbics would have problems with a high end athlon 64.
Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:13 pm

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:38 pm

Klyith wrote:
FlippedGazelle wrote:I built a Qbic system for my mother about a year ago, with the following specs:
Pentium 4 2.6C <snip>

That's good to know. But I wouldn't want to try one with a prescott. No way it could keep one of them cool with the limited exhaust it has. I even wonder if the Qbics would have problems with a high end athlon 64.

Definitely agree with the Prescott heat issue - even though Qbic is supposed to support it, no way I'd try it. You have a good point about the Athlon 64, to -- although I think I would give it a go, just so I could say "I live dangerously." :)
FlippedGazelle
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Yahoo! found about 56,000 matches for QBic reviews:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=qbic+r ... 21+Search+
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to SFF Station