Installed XP, but SATA undetected

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Installed XP, but SATA undetected

Postposted on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:28 am

XP detected my WD 80 gig SATA drive and Windows was successfully installed. Only problem is that the bios does not detect the hard drive. What do I do? Do I need an updated bios? Neither my sff or harddrive came with sata drivers, where can I go to get one (if that is the problem)?

System Specs
-----------------
Biostar 210p
Athlon 64 3000
512 mb
WD 80 gig sata
Current System: Athlon 64 3000, WD 80 gig SATA, 512 MB, Biostar 210p
ski_utah
Gerbil In Training

Re: Installed XP, but SATA undetected

Postposted on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:46 am

ski_utah wrote:XP detected my WD 80 gig SATA drive and Windows was successfully installed. Only problem is that the bios does not detect the hard drive. What do I do? Do I need an updated bios? Neither my sff or harddrive came with sata drivers, where can I go to get one (if that is the problem)?

System Specs
-----------------
Biostar 210p
Athlon 64 3000
512 mb
WD 80 gig sata

The BIOS will only see IDE devices. The SATA drive is most likely on its own controller, which can be viewed from the SATA controllers BIOS setup, which is different from the BIOS you access at POST.

Drivers are for windows, and you access the BIOS before windows begins loading, so that will not have the drive show up. The drive will never show up in your regualr BIOS.

If it installed and its working fine I would not worry about it. I assume the disk that came with the IDEQ has SATA drivers on it, but usually they are not necessary unless you have a RAID setup. With one drive, they shouldn't be necessary.
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | 2x ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to SFF Station