SB75G2 - CPU Temp

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

SB75G2 - CPU Temp

Postposted on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:37 am

Hi,

I've got a SB75G2, which I really like. It runs stable but the other day it reset for no apparent reason. Which is why I started being concerned that the temperature of the CPU was the culprit. Before I forget the CPU is a 3.2GHz prescott, and there's a (pretty hot, I think) nVidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200.

Basically it runs at 50-54 under no load and goes upto about 60 under load, while the rest of the system stays at a steady 34-36

Is this normal? I've tried reseating the heatsink with no change.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to get a new GFX card and if it's overheating now I'm sure it'd be worse with a new GFX card in.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

Paul
abgen
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:47 am

Those temps dont seem to awfully out of whack for a presshot. You could have other hardware issues.. it may be the ram or more likely the psu thats causing the apparent shutdown.

Welcome to the forums.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:49 am

If it resets itself then it may mean there was a BSOD. Disable auto-reboot in Startup & Recovery so you can see that BSOD the next time.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:50 am

LicketySplit wrote:Those temps dont seem to awfully out of whack for a presshot. You could have other hardware issues.. it may be the ram or more likely the psu thats causing the apparent shutdown.

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks. It seems to have been a one-off. Just wanted to check in with folks who are much more experienced than me.

I was thinking of upping the Graphics Card to a Geforce 6600 (not top whack, I know, but it's more than adequate for me). Any ideas whether this would significantly increase the system temp?

Paul
abgen
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:21 pm

The 6600 shouldn't be much hotter than the gf4, might even be cooler for all I know but there won't be a heat problem as a result of adding this, it's not anywhere near the high end in terms of power usage and heat output.
Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to SFF Station