Eden Mods

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Eden Mods

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:01 pm

Given that we're dealing with small boxes here, I might as well get started a topic about my favorite small boards out there :). Anyone else out there using these little gems?

On a related note, yarbo has generously donated a Model 25 for me to turn into a new beast. I'm probably squeezing an Eden board into it as well. Should make an interesting box, and if I grab a Radeon 9000 PCI a useful LAN box as well :).

More to follow.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:19 pm

eden board? the one with the integrated C3? LAN box?

...no man...no
1 GHz on a 100 MHz FSB...gotta love technology.
farfolen
Gerbil First Class

mini-itx.com

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:02 pm

I actually think these boards are really sweet and have been checking out http://www.min-itx.com for a while now. Truth be told, by athlon 1800+ is a great computer, very fast & all, but the large case and noise really take away from normal web browsing, media stuff. My next computer will probably be along the small/quiet route, rather than the fast/gaming.

Anyone have any experience with these? It would be nice if TR could do a review, and get some perf numbers. Perhaps compared to a 700 mhz celeron or something.
horst250
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:26 pm

oh no doubt I would like them too. I've been looking at the eden boards as a cheap way to get my mom a computer for when I move out (or just for general purposes so she wont use mine). They look attractive, although not too flashy. Of course I don't think my mom would really need anything beyond the Chipset VIA uses now, so it's no big problem. What is is the fact that they haven't integrated the GHz processor into the board yet, and that's what I want for my mom's.

but what horst suggested...the LAN box...that's just crazy to think about.
1 GHz on a 100 MHz FSB...gotta love technology.
farfolen
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:45 pm

For the record, my LANs are usually RTS games, not FPS. Different requirements for my games. For them it would be wonderful.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:13 am

Howard -

Any idea when the USB 2, Firewire version of the mini-itx will be out? I can't seem to find info online.

This looks great. I really like some of the mods people have done with these. How small can you get? I think this will be the little living room multimedia box that enables me to give away the console dvd player, stereo equip, etc. Combine this with a flat panel - that would be a cool mod!
orangekitty
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:36 am

No idea when yet. I plan to ask lots of questions at Comdex. I'd also like to see other boards in the ITX form factor, since they are so versatile. Can you imagine a nForce ITX board? ;)

And I am using one in a stereo situation at the moment. Took one and popped in a SB Live with a PCI riser. The ultimate CD changer :).
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:09 am

horst250:

We did do a review of the C3 processor that's embedded on the Eden boards. You can find it here:

http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q1/v ... dex.x?pg=1

Suffice to say that these systems perform well enough for embedded systems type applications and for light general-use things like MS Office apps, but they will not duplicate the true capabilites of an Intel- or AMD-based system. I like Eden's combination of low costs, small form factor, and passive cooling, but it's not the best answer for many uses.
Damage
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:35 pm

great review, thanks for the link.

I disagree with the conclusion though, I think that the combo of the c3 with the mini-itx board for around $100 significantly changes the value propasition in favor of this chip. Small form factor, great price make up for the performance disadvantages in my mind. probably a good point that this isn't for everyone yet though.
horst250
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:32 pm

And the Model 25 mod begins. But the MB will be waiting for the EPIA-M motherboard, the additional video capabilities will be appreciated.
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:53 pm

My EPIA-M's on order, should be arriving anyday now...

Can't wait.

I plan to make a little MediaPC. Has anyone tried Windows Media Centre edition?
Pauly
Gerbil

solded chips

Postposted on Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:51 am

I don't know if they kept solding the chip to the mobo as in the EPIA 800. If not, you can go for another Socket 370 chip if some more processing power is needed.

I saw this today at newegg.com
Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.1AGHz 256K On-Die Cache FCPGA2 $44
Intel Celeron (Pentium III based) 1.4GHz 256K 100MHz FSB FCPGA2 Processor Retail Box Version $62
Intel Pentium III 1GHz 256K 133MHz FSB FCPGA Processor $107
Pentium III 1.4GHz 512K Cache Tualatin 133MHz FSB, FCPGA2, Flip Chip Processor - Retail Box $209

Where are those old celerons? Somebody told me there were some special ones for racks, which had the best performance/watt ratio in the x86 world.
no sig
muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Return to SFF Station