Building the a trick Shuttle X ??

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Building the a trick Shuttle X ??

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:42 am

I am due for an upgrade and I want to do a Shuttle sb51g (I think)
unless there is somethig else due out soon?

If it was your dream machine what would you put in it?

Motherboard?
Ramm?
Processor?
Hard Drive?
Video Card?
CD or DVD?
Addtional gadgets? (Fans, LCD's)

I dont think I need the latest and greatest processor as you pay for the newest bad boy on the block. So what would be the BEST bang for the buck? Dont mind spening the dough just want to be resonable but dont want to skimp..

Main use:

Browsing
Counter strike
Word
Excel
misc other stuff (You know)

Thanks for any help,

Bill
TekWorks
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:01 pm

You absolutely, positively have to get a hyper-threading processor. Otherwise, you might as well get the SS51 and save some money (or trade the SB51 for my SS51!!!!)

I'd recommend a 5400 rpm drive if you'd like to keep it quiet (there are some very quiet 7200's out there, but they are pricey)

As far as cd drives, I'm looking to put the Sony DVD±RW (DRU500A) in mine. The Silver should match up quite well with the rest of the box.
prometheus_bound
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:36 pm

I think I would use a P4 1.6A chip with whatever SIS board that comes with the cube. Overclock it to 2.0 or higher. I would use a CDRW drive (yahama or plextor) for the drive bay, Geforce 4 4600 or Radeon 9700 card, for memory possibly Corsair or Kingston (3000,3100, or 3200), and for hard disk a westeren digital 80 GIG JB drive or a Seagate 'cuda drive. For sound I would use whatever comes onboard with it.
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:48 pm

Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm IDE drives are pretty muchcompletely quiet unless you put your ear up to them. The seek time is a bit behind other 7200rpm drives, but still a lot better than a 5400rpm drive.
Freon
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Return to SFF Station