Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

mascot
Gerbil
Topic Author

heat probs with shuttle

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:31 pm

one of my buddies in my cs clan has just got him self a cute lil shuttle cube....

but on first boot up (its running fine btw) he loaded up motherboard monitor and its reading 78c at idle and 80+ under load and his v-core is only 1.48

as im sure you can agree this isnt a good thing....

hes baffled atm and his usual solution of trying a diff heatsink but thers no f00king room in the case.....

suggestions please gentlemen?

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:10 pm

For comparison, my 1.8A running at 2.3GHz with about 1.65v hovers under 54C.

Was the thermal grease properly applied? Is the heatsink attached correctly? Have you tried a different processor?

What processor does he have?

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:56 pm

Ouch, that is a fried processor waiting to happen. You might want to not run that sucker under load until you find out what is wrong with it. Freon hit just about every suggestion that I could have made to allieviate the problem. Don't burn yourself. :P
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:19 am

You might also want to make sure that the version of motherboard monitor that he's using is correctly reading the temperature, since that sounds way hot for Shuttle's heat pipe.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:30 am

how hot is the heatsink? If it burns your hand, then it's probably accurate.

However, I think either one of two things are occuring.

A: The heatsink is improperly mounted or crappy thermal pad.

B: MBM is crazy... check the readings in the bios.

Kenny!!!
Gerbil In Training

Thanks!

Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:33 am

thanks for help... I kinda fixed the problem... <ahem> pluged cpu fan in</ahem> :oops:

working sweet now at 46 degreese :D

OdieXPC
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:52 pm

Happens to the best of us. The very first SB51 engineering sample we got back, we hurridly assembled the system and started some benchmarks. At first, the system was fast as greased lightning, but every new benchmark run, it got progressively slower.

Turns out the CPU was clock throttling, because we also had forgotten to connect the heat pipe fan :oops:

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:54 am

Similar story here. I put a new video card in my SS51. Did some benchmarks, and got great results. I fired up Folding@Home... within about 20 to 30 minutes, my computer would lock up solid. I finally reached over and touched the case, it was hot to the touch. I opened the case up and found that a wire was tangled up in one of the heat pipe's fan blades. Untangled the wire so the fan could spin freely, and the SS51 has been running fine since.