Shuttle SD32G2....need video card suggestions

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Shuttle SD32G2....need video card suggestions

Postposted on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:03 pm

I am considering a Shuttle SD32G2.... uses would be general productivity, but I would like it to have at least SOME gaming capabilities. System will have a mid-range Core2 Duo, 2 gigs memory, 1 HD and DVD burner. Within the constraints of the SFF form-factor and the 250W power supply, what is available in the way of a videocard that will work? Doesn't need to be cutting-edge, a mid-range card from one or two generations back either nVidia or ATI at $150 or so would do nicely. I've seen the compatibility listings Shuttle publishes but am having trouble actually finding any of those particular cards for sale anywhere. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thank you!
dmeader
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Active or passive cooling?

I have a 7600GS passive cooled, and I can play Oblivion with no hiccups.

Maybe go with one of the new ATi XT 2600's? They pull alot less power and some are passively cooled - something like this?

I only say passive cooling since it is a SFF and I don't imagine you wanting too much noise coming from the machine.

Hope this helps a bit. :wink:
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Darth Lex-idius vs. Obi Lex kanobi
lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:42 pm

I hadn't given the active/passive cooling issue much thought. In the tight confines of the SFF case I wonder if the passive would have enough airflow, and it obviously has to fit :) . That is a start and I will do research, thanks much. Any other thoughts/suggestions welcome.
dmeader
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:49 pm

See what the AMPs on the 12V PSU is for that shuttle. I'm pretty sure you can install a 8600 class video card in that shuttle.
heruur
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:09 pm

dmeader wrote:I hadn't given the active/passive cooling issue much thought. In the tight confines of the SFF case I wonder if the passive would have enough airflow, and it obviously has to fit :) . That is a start and I will do research, thanks much. Any other thoughts/suggestions welcome.

The cooling will depend on the type of solution on the card. Those are some little holes on the side of t hat case too. We can see for sure that there is only room for a single slot card, and no exotic cooling on the single slot either.

Since you're not "really" gaming on this machine, the card you select won't won't be generating that much heat. If you do need extra cooling, there is alway this.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Darth Lex-idius vs. Obi Lex kanobi
lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to SFF Station