Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

jmy
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Shuttle SS51G - Bad Video

Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:38 pm

I have a Shuttle SS51G with an nVidia GeForce Ti 4600, and I am currently having an interesting problem. If I set my monitor to a refresh rate of 60Hz it is stable. It flickers like all monitors do at 60 but it is stable. If I change the refresh rate on the monitor to anything else the flicker becomes a little worse and the image kinda wiggles. Over time it become very annoying.

I have switched out video cards and used the onboard video but got the same results. I used the monitor on another system and the wiggle was gone. I then put a different monitor on the Shuttle and again the wiggle was present.

Has anybody else had a problem with interference on their Shuttle? The best explanation I have is the power supply, which is unfortunately non-standard.

I have contacted Shuttle support but have gotten no answers.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
JMY
Shuttle X SS51G
2.4 GHz, 512MB
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
CD - ROM
Windows XP

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:04 pm

If your monitor has a removable cable, have you tried that?

What about environmental factors? If you've checked the monitor on another system, was it plugged into a different circuit breaker?

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:08 pm

The odds are something in the area is creating a lot of interferance. Try plugging the computer and monitor into another outlet or even another room on a different circuit breaker. Also, check to see what else is on the circuit that could be drawing a lot of current, or 'dirtying' the electrical signal.

I have seen this same problem in my local library. One of the computers acts in the exact same way, it also exibits a very high pitched squeal (I don't think everyone can hear such a high pitch though). The reason is the computer is plugged into the same outlet as the library's security system and radio scanners (the ones that go off if you try to steal a book etc). It is likely this system is drawing a lot of current and messing up the signal for the monitor.