The Perfect HTPC Keyboard?

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

The Perfect HTPC Keyboard?

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:51 am

I currently use the Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 as my KB/mouse combo right now (since it only cost me $40 refurbished).

I saw the DiNovo Mini on Logitech's website this morning.

I also like this Cordless MediaBoard Pro since it works with the PS3.

Any of you have a favorite worth looking at for HTPC duties? I'm thinking of moving the microsoft combo to my normal computer - less wires, just a bluetooth dongle.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Darth Lex-idius vs. Obi Lex kanobi
lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: The Perfect HTPC Keyboard?

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:15 pm

What problems do you have with your current keyboard?

The major challenge for me has been finding a keyboard or mouse that works reliably up to 10' away from the source.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock
JdL
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:19 pm

No . . no . . . no . . . no problems (sorry), I'm just trying to find that perfect keyboard combination that will just "do it" for me.

The one I have is bluetooth, so it works fine up to 30' from the machine - and that's through the doors of the entertainment unit (solid wood).

The keyboards I listed were just the ones I have my eyes on at the moment as a "step-up" replacement.

The "notebook style mousepad" on my current keyboard works fine so the actual mouse is not needed, but just not very fluid. I am hoping that the Logitech keyboard that also connects to the PS3 is smooth - then I'll switch to that.

lex-ington

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:43 pm

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:19 pm

JdL wrote:What problems do you have with your current keyboard?

The major challenge for me has been finding a keyboard or mouse that works reliably up to 10' away from the source.

Yeah, that what I was going to say. I got around that by a bit of "creative" technology - a USB server.
Snake
Gerbil Elite

Location: Somewhere...(if you say "over the rainbow", I'll kill ya!)

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Snake wrote:
JdL wrote:What problems do you have with your current keyboard?

Yeah, that what I was going to say. I got around that by a bit of "creative" technology - a USB server.

Hmmm... hadn't thought of that. Is there any delay? Have you used it in games and does it work reliably, even with high-resolution mice? What about wireless USB?

Heh -- here I was thinking I should give up and make due with the current PS/2 cable-based keyboard + 6' extension. No, seriously!
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock
JdL
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:59 pm

lex-ington wrote:No . . no . . . no . . . no problems (sorry), I'm just trying to find that perfect keyboard combination that will just "do it" for me.

The one I have is bluetooth, so it works fine up to 30' from the machine - and that's through the doors of the entertainment unit (solid wood).

The keyboards I listed were just the ones I have my eyes on at the moment as a "step-up" replacement.

The "notebook style mousepad" on my current keyboard works fine so the actual mouse is not needed, but just not very fluid. I am hoping that the Logitech keyboard that also connects to the PS3 is smooth - then I'll switch to that.

Ah. I see! The keyboards you originally linked to look like they're tailored to 2 different uses. The diNovo Mini looks like you might only need one hand to use it, suggesting that it's not the kind of keyboard for, say, making posts on TR with; but it should be great for basic media or gaming control functions -- perhaps the "HTPC duties" that you mentioned. The MediaBoard Pro is more capable of being used as a full-fledged keyboard, but because of its size it is probably more of a hassle to use for just the basics.

I think both would work well for their respective useage scenarios, but for HTPC I'd probably choose the diNovo over the MediaBoard Pro. Now what about durability and reliability -- Logitech is usually good. I read that their original diNovo line was cheaply made, but the Mini looks like a different animal altogether.
JdL
JdL
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:20 am

Here are the two I was looking at:

Trust Vista Remote Keyboard KB-2950

KeySonic ACK-540 Aluminium Mini Kboard

In the end I went with the Trush BK-2950 as it suits my needs better, still waiting for the postman to deliver it... DOH!
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"
Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:27 am

Pax-UX wrote:Here are the two I was looking at:

Trust Vista Remote Keyboard KB-2950

KeySonic ACK-540 Aluminium Mini Kboard

In the end I went with the Trush BK-2950 as it suits my needs better, still waiting for the postman to deliver it... DOH!

The Trust looks great -- it's even got a trackball!
JdL
JdL
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:08 am

I got this guy a couple weeks ago and love it! The reception is a little spotty at 10' so use a USB extension cable to get the dongle pretty well exposed to the room.

It's just the right size, has a scroll wheel on the left side in just the right place, and is actually pretty nice to type on. I fooled around playing CivIV with it and it was actually reasonably effective. I give it 4.5/5. 8)
I don't watch commercials.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:29 pm

That Trust Vista KB looks exactly like the MS MCE keyboard I have - but it never worked (even in XP). The MCE Remote worked great though, once I got HIP up and running.

I like the trackball, makes more sense. Interesting indeed . . . .

lex-ington

Postposted on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 am

Finally got the Trust keyboard... so far am liking it. I've highlight some of the buttons on the picture.

First things, the left/right mouse buttons are on the top left/right of the keyboard kind of like a R1 / L1 setup on xbox controllers or a PSP, so you have to use two hands to work the mouse effectively (although you could reverse the mouse to be right/left). The scroll wheel is in the top left corner and has a good feel to it (pointer finger on left click / thumb on scroll wheel). The mouse tracker is easy to use and precise enough to run at 1080P with high sensitivity. The power button is just to the bottom right of the track wheel but doesn’t get in the way.

I like the fact there is a power button, turn it off and the you can hit all the keys or move the mouse and nothing happens very hand when having it laying around while watching something, you can pick it up any way you want without worrying about stray key-presses.

The actual keyboard feels good when typing, but backspace is a little bit small for my liking and the ‘\’ beside the space bar which itself is quite small. Something I’ll get used to, used so many different laptop keyboards over the years I almost expect every new one to be slightly different. It’s good enough to blog with, just about, though I don’t like typing with a keyboard on my laptop.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"
Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Return to SFF Station