Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Am I crazy? New SFF build

Mon May 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
You sure you used enough thermal paste? I had a overheat situation like that once because I spent way too much time spreading out the thermal paste and it ended up being too thin of a coating.

I highly doubt that is the reason. ;)

Though I will have to check that my CPU fan is spinning at proper speeds. I forgot to check that.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Just as I thought, the fan is only spinning at 1500rpms, is capable of 2200, yet no amount of tinkering can get it running faster. And I don't think that the Scythe Shuriken has enough surface area to properly cool the CPU.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 am

Ok, so the as you know the Scythe just wasn't cutting it. So I ordered the silverstone NT06-E. Since 1) it is designed to fit the case 2) is capable of cooling quads 3) I actually found a few people cooling i7s and a few quads and were keeping their temps in the 30c/idle 50c/load range.

Not to mention the fan mounting shroud was fastened from the end. So it was really easy to unscrew it, flip it over, screw it back on and mount a 120mm fan from the underside blowing up. Now I just have to check the PSU fan to make sure it is blow in the same direction and mount it.

I'm hoping to use the existing pins which will save me the time of yanking everything out and getting to the underside of the MB. If not it will take longer. :(

Only issue was it just came yesterday and between a hockey game I had tickets to and a dinner event tonight, well it probably won't be Friday until I can find out if all this will work.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 28, 2009 9:52 am

z-man wrote:

I'm hoping to use the existing pins which will save me the time of yanking everything out and getting to the underside of the MB. If not it will take longer. :(

I'm not sure if pins is similar to backplate, but I've switched a cooler and recycled the backplate before. Seemed to work fine. Not SFF though so perhaps your setup is different.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
I'm not sure if pins is similar to backplate, but I've switched a cooler and recycled the backplate before. Seemed to work fine. Not SFF though so perhaps your setup is different.

I am using a xigmatek backplate to get around using those god awful push pins that came with the Scythe.

Issue here is they use a long screw to reach down to the threads. The NT06-E uses long screws to reach up to the bracket. I might still be able to recycle the backplate (in fact I am almost 99% sure) but I might have to still remove the motherboard to thread the screws up to reach the retention bracket. What I am trying to avoid is having to access the bottom of the MB if at all possible. Which would require me to remove just about everything. If I can avoid that I can simple move the PSU to gain access saving some time.

I'll know when I pull the PSU out and remove the old HSF. At that point I am going to test fit and see where the retention bracket sits. Then I will know if I can use a combination of screws and springs to make it work. We'll see.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Fri May 29, 2009 7:46 pm

The only MicroATX board I can find is a DFI board. I am really, really, NOT a fan of theirs. So for now I'll wait. Also the cost for the board and CPU was $300 more.

If you don't like DFI , Gigabyte is so far the best review i got and it also inside my list as well..

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:47 am

Success! After 3.5 hours to get everything swapped out cleanly. I got the NT06-E in and idle it is sitting @ 38c and under a full stress test for 1 hour (all 4 cores at 100%) it peaked @ 55c. So it looks like this will all work. However I think in the future I might consider water cooling else I will have to go with a larger case. At least for a proc like this.