Improving the cooling on an old Shuttle SG31G2?

For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Improving the cooling on an old Shuttle SG31G2?

Postposted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:59 pm

So I kinda built my little SFF into a corner. Current innards include:
-Shuttle PC50 300W power supply
-Intel Q6700
-4GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 (2x2GB) @ 2.0V
-XFX ATI HD5750, single slot version
-LG BH10LS30 BD-RW (wow, PowerDVD really is terrible these days)
-ASUS Xonar D1
-WD Caviar Green 2TB
-3.5" floppy drive that will be pried from my cold, dead hands

Here's the problem - with all this stuff in there, I'm pretty confident that the power supply is juuuust up to the task, but the cooling is not. The ICE 2 heatpipe seems to be a bottleneck, but airflow through the case isn't that great either. The XFX card overheats to the point of crashing - it's not the GPU, the temp controlled fan keeps that within reasonable limits, but since there's not much air moving through there it's something else on the card, probably the RAM. The south bridge gets quite hot as well. The stock Shuttle fan is a bit noisy, but it will push more air than most modern quiet fans, so not even the fan is the problem.

Have people modified these things to cool better? I remember some really old threads on Sudhian, but I can't dig them up. I didn't really build this computer to be quiet, just to save space, and I have way more space now than when I built it ... just don't want to drop money on a new computer at the moment. That, but I also don't want to give up any of the current components. If there's no reasonable ways to cool this thing off, I'll probably spend the minimum possible on another motherboard & case and transplant everything. However I'm willing to do a lot to 'save' this one.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Improving the cooling on an old Shuttle SG31G2?

Postposted on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

try running it with the cover off to see if that keeps things from crashing...or place an extra fan so it blows over your video card with the cover off to see if that helps. if it still freezes then i would guess powersupply. i have seen my fair share of dead shuttle power supplies...

you can always try a fullsize known-good psu and just have it hang out of or on top of the shuttle frame for testing purposes. if things are stable with a different psu then you have your answer.
ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Improving the cooling on an old Shuttle SG31G2?

Postposted on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:11 am

ryko wrote:try running it with the cover off to see if that keeps things from crashing...or place an extra fan so it blows over your video card with the cover off to see if that helps. if it still freezes then i would guess powersupply. i have seen my fair share of dead shuttle power supplies...

you can always try a fullsize known-good psu and just have it hang out of or on top of the shuttle frame for testing purposes. if things are stable with a different psu then you have your answer.

It does the same thing running off a barely-used Antec Earthwatts 380. Though I have noticed the Shuttle PSU puts out a fair bit of heat on its own.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to SFF Station