Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Home theatre cables...

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:09 am

Well we have a 360, ps3 and a computer hooked up to a projector and now we're in a crunch for cables. I have a Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 set of speakers that are set up already, but only 1 optical input into the thing.

The 3 devices have optical outs (S/PDIF) and what I'm looking for is some kind of a switcher and also long TOSlink cables to go with them. Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated, thanks.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Home theatre cables...

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 am

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:01 am

Is the 360 an Elite? If you need Toslink for the audio I'm afraid you may have to invest in a full-blown receiver. Too bad you missed all the Boxing Week sale. Now those receivers are back up to full price. :(

Also, how long are we talking about for the optical cable? I think you can only run longer coax cables (with more bending too). Does the Z-5500 have coax audio input?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

stoydgen
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 am

http://www.hardware.no/tester/lyd/logit ... ganger.jpg

Looks like it has coax too.

My suggestion is to chuck one of the things in via the coax, another via the optical. I know the ps3 is optical out only, and i don't know about the 360. If you can get the 360 to spit out coax (perhaps via something like this http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA1720 ) and perhaps run the pc through the analog inputs (hope you have a nice soundcard), then you should be good to go.

PS: sorry about the australian product link, I'm fairly terrible at searching around the US sites.

EDIT: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2 the US link

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Is the 360 an Elite? If you need Toslink for the audio I'm afraid you may have to invest in a full-blown receiver. Too bad you missed all the Boxing Week sale. Now those receivers are back up to full price. :(

Also, how long are we talking about for the optical cable? I think you can only run longer coax cables (with more bending too). Does the Z-5500 have coax audio input?

The 360 in question is the new Arcade with HDMI out.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:43 pm

I'd just go with a simple manual switch and then just run your optical.

That said, instead of having 3 different threads, can you just combine them all into one so to provide all the information and avoid duplication on your part and ours?

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Is the 360 an Elite? If you need Toslink for the audio I'm afraid you may have to invest in a full-blown receiver.

The Logitech Z-5500 speakers have a Toslink input so no need for a receiver.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-