Do speaker sets amplify?

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Do speaker sets amplify?

Postposted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Some speaker sets come with headphone connectors that mute the speakers and forward the output to your 'phones.
My question is whether those speakers in question have an amplifier in them (however puny it may be) in connection with this feature, or does one need to daisy-chain a separate headphone amplifier?

I'm still contemplating getting a Xonar Essence to make it simple, but this question just crossed my mind.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Re: Do speaker sets amplify?

Postposted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:45 pm

That depends on the individual speaker set. Some may let you change the volume (amplify the signal) using the speaker volume control, but some may not. My Klipsch v2-400 set just has a Line Out that is perfectly audible, but I need to change volume on the computer itself. Either way, you're probably better off hooking your phones directly to the sound card to keep losses to a minimum. I assume you'd do this, if you care enough about sound quality to ask this question in the first place.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:32 pm

It's not going to be consistent across a brand, either.

For instance, some Logitech models, the headphone connection is just a pass-through, where on others, it does run off the speaker's amp (and the volume is controlled by the speaker's controls).

It's not something you can figure out by looking at the specs, either.
Intel 2500K & Scythe Mugen2 | ASRock H67M-GE | 8GB DDR3 | Boot drive: OCZ Vertex 3
TV tuner: Aver HDDuet | Xonar DG | Fractal Design R4 | Rosewill Capstone 450M
insulin_junkie72
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Just to be a bit clearer, the Xonar is probably the way to go if you want the best performance out of your headphones.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Echo Vale