z-5500 hum hiss - updated :(

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Re: z-5500 hum hiss - updated :(

Postposted on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:55 pm

Just in case you haven't noticed, the OP now has a new problem and the unit is now actually nonfunctional.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 pm

morphine wrote:Just in case you haven't noticed, the OP now has a new problem and the unit is now actually nonfunctional.

Missed that ... :oops:
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970| 12 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Sorry to bring a dead thread back to life but, google searches are getting me nowhere.

I've had close to identical issues that OP had and have tried every possible solution brought up in the thread. I bought my z 5500's used, hooked up optically to my ps3, and coax to my pc. First time around there was very little humming, almost a whisper. If I used 6ch direct there was none. After moving the position of the sub further away from my tv, and to better the position of the surround sound the humming went from a whisper to having an unacceptably loud presence. It is unbearable to listen to these speakers at low volume now.

I tried unplugging and plugging everything back in. Logitech said florescent lightbulbs or dimmer switches in a room can cause interference (both of which my room has). Took them to another room, plugged directly into a wall. No gain. I eventually began to think it was the control pod to sub cable that was **** up. Wiggling it around, playing with the pin connector to the sub, or even fumbling the control pod upside down would decrease/increase the hum. Now doing any of that does nothing.

Also with my system hooked up properly, say when I am playing PS3 with optical input, the control pod will read that it detects nothing, only when live sound is present. (ie noise in a game, clicking around the XMB menu) During silence like load screens the hum will die, along with the audio signal and the control pod will go back to saying there's no input detected. These symptoms are identical when hooked up to my external sound card for my pc. Clues, anyone? Desperate here.

Edit: It's Firmware 2.0.4 - Control Pod PID is R608
Last edited by Digita1 Ecstasy on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digita1 Ecstasy
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Welcome to TR!

My apologies if I'm asking the obvious, but are those still in warranty? I'd simply take them back instead of wasting more time with them.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I tried unplugging and plugging everything back in. Logitech said florescent lightbulbs or dimmer switches in a room can cause interference (both of which my room has). Took them to another room, plugged directly into a wall. No gain. I eventually began to think it was the control pod to sub cable that was **** up. Wiggling it around, playing with the pin connector to the sub, or even fumbling the control pod upside down would decrease/increase the hum. Now doing any of that does nothing.

Also with my system hooked up properly, say when I am playing PS3 with optical input, the control pod will read that it detects nothing, only when live sound is present. (ie noise in a game, clicking around the XMB menu) During silence like load screens the hum will die, along with the audio signal and the control pod will go back to saying there's no input detected. These symptoms are identical when hooked up to my external sound card for my pc. Clues, anyone? Desperate here.

My guess would be that a connection inside the unit is physically cracked at this point. The fact that you could change the hum by moving the unit around suggests that something was wiggling; and they fact that you can't do it anymore suggests that whatever that something was isn't wiggling anymore - it's either lodged or cracked in such a way that the wiggling no longer affects output.

Add to this the fact that it sees "no input" whenever there isn't actually sound playing at your source - and with different sources - suggests a bad connection within the unit itself.

You could try opening it up and looking for anything that looks loose or cracked. Before doing that, rule out bad cables etc.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for a fast reply, and honestly. . . If I could return the speakers and get new ones I would. But I am a poor audiophile.

I'm pretty sure the problem lies within the control pod, or the VGA type connector to the sub. Maybe the cable too. How would I go about checking for a faulty cable? I opened up my control pod and took pictures. Everything seemed OK~ but I have an untrained eye. Everything seemed snug and in its place.

Digita1 Ecstasy
Gerbil In Training

Previous

Return to Echo Vale