Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:45 pm

So my car stereo died the other week (and since it couldn't even play mp3's), I figured it was time to get a new one. I decided to settle on the JVC KD-R600for two reasons, 1) it had USB and 2) it was on sale.


I bought a 4GB Kingston USB stick to load up my music on (average 128kb .mp3's, nothing else). I've filled between 3 -3.5GB of the stick (music is seperated into 11 folders). I put it my stereo and the screen says "reading". Ok, fine, so it's reading all the metadata and what not of the songs. Problem is that it takes over 1/2 hour to do so. Now, that's 10 minutes to read 1GB of data, which is rediculous in my mind, espicially since you could write faster than that using the USB 1.1 spec. I know it's caching it for when I turn off/on the car so it'll pick right up, but this seems really slow.

Anybody else have any experience with USB car stereo's? Is this normal?
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 am

Is it doing that every time you turn the car on, or only the first time you plugged the memory stick in? Either way it could be a slow embedded processor in the JVC system.

Could you try some different USB key / brands, or a portable hard disk? Maybe the stick itself is slow.

That's a pretty cool receiver, by the way. :)
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock
JdL
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:45 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 am

That is a pretty sweet receiver, I'd totally be getting a 2.5" USB HD and putting everything in lossless WMA on it if I had that. *old timey warning* I can't remember how much I paid for an in-dash CD player in the early 90s but I know it was a hell of a lot more than that.

Anyhow, have you searched for other user complaints about the same thing? What's the rated speed or exact model or your thumb drive? It may be your drive or the unit, if its internal CPU as mentioned or its internal memory is just slow there may not be much you can do.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 pm

JdL wrote:Is it doing that every time you turn the car on, or only the first time you plugged the memory stick in? Either way it could be a slow embedded processor in the JVC system.
Only the first time that I put it in. If I turn the car off, run into Wal-mart and back out and turn the car back on, it starts playing in 1 second. So I know that it's cache'ing all the files and what not, just taking a really insane amount of time doing it.

JdL wrote:Could you try some different USB key / brands, or a portable hard disk? Maybe the stick itself is slow.
This could be. It's a Kingston Data Traveler 101. It was the cheapest I could find and I expected it to be slow, but 3.5GB's/30 minutes slow?

JdL wrote:That's a pretty cool receiver, by the way. :)
Thanks. FutureShop (the Canadian equivalent of BestBuy) had 'em on sale for $129CDN.

MadManOriginal wrote:Anyhow, have you searched for other user complaints about the same thing? What's the rated speed or exact model or your thumb drive? It may be your drive or the unit, if its internal CPU as mentioned or its internal memory is just slow there may not be much you can do.
I haven't searched to see if there are any problems with this yet. I know, pretty shameful. But moving the files from my computer to this new USB stick I bought was comparable to my computer -> Corsair Voyager.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:I bought a 4GB Kingston USB stick to load up my music on (average 128kb .mp3's, nothing else). I've filled between 3 -3.5GB of the stick (music is seperated into 11 folders). I put it my stereo and the screen says "reading". Ok, fine, so it's reading all the metadata and what not of the songs. Problem is that it takes over 1/2 hour to do so. Now, that's 10 minutes to read 1GB of data, which is rediculous in my mind, espicially since you could write faster than that using the USB 1.1 spec. I know it's caching it for when I turn off/on the car so it'll pick right up, but this seems really slow.

On page 43 of the manual we find that it's limited to USB 1.1 speeds, 12 megabits/sec, or 1.5 megabytes/sec.

3.5 Gigabytes * 1024 = 3584 Megabytes

3584 Megabytes / 1.5 Megabytes/sec = 2389.33 seconds

2389.33 seconds / 60 = 39.82 minutes.

Problem identified.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20206
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Kick to the nuts there. That's gotta hurt.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9954
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:01 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:I bought a 4GB Kingston USB stick to load up my music on (average 128kb .mp3's, nothing else). I've filled between 3 -3.5GB of the stick (music is seperated into 11 folders). I put it my stereo and the screen says "reading". Ok, fine, so it's reading all the metadata and what not of the songs. Problem is that it takes over 1/2 hour to do so. Now, that's 10 minutes to read 1GB of data, which is rediculous in my mind, espicially since you could write faster than that using the USB 1.1 spec. I know it's caching it for when I turn off/on the car so it'll pick right up, but this seems really slow.

On page 43 of the manual we find that it's limited to USB 1.1 speeds, 12 megabits/sec, or 1.5 megabytes/sec.

3.5 Gigabytes * 1024 = 3584 Megabytes

3584 Megabytes / 1.5 Megabytes/sec = 2389.33 seconds

2389.33 seconds / 60 = 39.82 minutes.

Problem identified.


Wow, that's some poor software if it actually reads the entire contents of the memory stick just to cache the file data. I would expect it to scan the drive, gather the file list, then read the metadata from the files. But then I have found that how I would do things and how "professional developers" do things rarely coincide.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Colony, TX (Dallas suburb)

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:35 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:I bought a 4GB Kingston USB stick to load up my music on (average 128kb .mp3's, nothing else). I've filled between 3 -3.5GB of the stick (music is seperated into 11 folders). I put it my stereo and the screen says "reading". Ok, fine, so it's reading all the metadata and what not of the songs. Problem is that it takes over 1/2 hour to do so. Now, that's 10 minutes to read 1GB of data, which is rediculous in my mind, espicially since you could write faster than that using the USB 1.1 spec. I know it's caching it for when I turn off/on the car so it'll pick right up, but this seems really slow.

On page 43 of the manual we find that it's limited to USB 1.1 speeds, 12 megabits/sec, or 1.5 megabytes/sec.

3.5 Gigabytes * 1024 = 3584 Megabytes

3584 Megabytes / 1.5 Megabytes/sec = 2389.33 seconds

2389.33 seconds / 60 = 39.82 minutes.

Problem identified.


Wow, that's some poor software if it actually reads the entire contents of the memory stick just to cache the file data. I would expect it to scan the drive, gather the file list, then read the metadata from the files. But then I have found that how I would do things and how "professional developers" do things rarely coincide.

--SS


Well, that's 1.5Mb is being VERY generous. It does not include the transmission overhead. Chances are that it is reading what files are on there and the organization of the drive.

I don't think it is caching the data, either. (Unless what i think of as caching is very different from what everyone else is stating.) I'm sure the deck is just verifying that all the files can be read. A sanity check to keep from playing something that it'll get stuck on. Probably generating a metadata file.

Is it possible that this could be a drive format issue? Have you tried formatting the drive in both FAT16 and FAT32? I know it's compatible with both, but there might be something there.

And the closest that manual gets to this problem is: Readout time varies depending on USB device. Real helpful.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3276
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Great Smoky Mountains

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:17 am

To me it looks like the USB functionality was added by Marketing so that an open check box could be filled in. Engineering did the least possible to keep Marketing happy, so the implementation is a dog.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20206
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Extremely slow USB...with car audio system

Postposted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:47 am

Sargent Duck wrote:I bought a 4GB Kingston USB stick to load up my music on (average 128kb .mp3's, nothing else). I've filled between 3 -3.5GB of the stick (music is seperated into 11 folders). I put it my stereo and the screen says "reading". Ok, fine, so it's reading all the metadata and what not of the songs. Problem is that it takes over 1/2 hour to do so. Now, that's 10 minutes to read 1GB of data, which is rediculous in my mind, espicially since you could write faster than that using the USB 1.1 spec.

Actually, no you can't. USB 1.1 maxes out at 12 megabits/sec (1.5 megabytes/sec). At this speed, it takes ~40 minutes to transfer 3.5 GB.

The car system is clearly using USB 1.1, and reading the entire contents of the thumbdrive. End of story.

Unless they advertise a higher transfer rate, or say "USB 2.0" and "high speed" in the specs, the system is probably behaving as designed. (USB 2.0 compatibility alone does not guarantee 480 megabit speed; it specifically has to say "USB 2.0 high speed".)

Key to USB marketingspeak:
- low speed: 1.5 mbit/sec
- full speed: 12 mbit/sec
- high speed: 480 mbit/sec (requires USB 2.0)
- super speed: 5 gbit/sec (this one is new in USB 3.0, I am not aware of any devices that support it yet)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37659
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer


Return to Echo Vale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests