Speaker wire length

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:19 am

I have an original set of Klipsch v2-400 4.1 speakers. I just moved and took the speakers with me, but the cables for two of the speakers are gone. The speaker cables Klipsch sold with the set is standard black/red speaker wire with a mono miniplug connector at one end to go into the back of the speaker. I'd like to replace the lost speaker wire by making my own wire, but I'd like to make it much longer than before. The wire Klipsch gave is maybe 10 feet long. How much longer can I make the wire without degrading the audio signal too much?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 am

Well, that depends. Usually within limits, and for normal purposes, that is, non audiophilic stuff which people can argue until they turn blue... speaker wire is limited to the current they can carry. So longer lenghs need to be thicker gauge. Thats about it. In my living room my back surrounds has about 40' of cable. My Videologic 4.1 system, of the same age your system is, came with about 25' or 30' cables for the back speakers. Just normal plain thin braided core speaker cable. Up to 20' for small computer sattelites, its a non issue really.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:37 am

Speakers are low-impedance devices, which means the main thing you are concerned about is resistance; capacitive effects and induced interference should be a non-issue. The longer the wire, the heavier gauge it needs to be; otherwise the increase in resistance may cause your bass to get muddy due to what is called "damping factor" (the amplifier's ability to control resonances and stray motions of the speaker cones).

If you want to keep the overall wiring resistance the same as your original cables, you will need to go down 3 wire gauge sizes (lower numbers correspond to thicker wire) for each doubling of distance. It is quite possible that this is gross overkill; you might even be fine using the same gauge wire as the original cables. But without knowing the gauge of the original wire or how much longer you plan to make it, it is impossible to say with any certainty.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37483
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Okay, that wasn't scientific of me at all. The supplied speaker wires were approximately 10' long and look like 20-gague. 20 is a guess, but it's around that thickness. It would be nice to triple or quadruple that length.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:The longer the wire, the heavier gauge it needs to be; otherwise the increase in resistance may cause your bass to get muddy due to what is called "damping factor" (the amplifier's ability to control resonances and stray motions of the speaker cones).
There's not really anything resembling bass heading out to those satellites.
...
mattsteg
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 15752
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Oops, my bad. Didn't realize we were talking about little satellite speakers. :oops:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37483
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:13 am

FireGryphon wrote:I have an original set of Klipsch v2-400 4.1 speakers. I just moved and took the speakers with me, but the cables for two of the speakers are gone. The speaker cables Klipsch sold with the set is standard black/red speaker wire with a mono miniplug connector at one end to go into the back of the speaker. I'd like to replace the lost speaker wire by making my own wire, but I'd like to make it much longer than before. The wire Klipsch gave is maybe 10 feet long. How much longer can I make the wire without degrading the audio signal too much?


I don't know what the limits are, but my rear satellites (same speakers) have around 40' of 18ga wire between them and the amp. The fronts have around 25'. They still sound just as good as they did when I bought them. In reality, the acoustic of your average computer room are such that any coloring of the audio signal is likely not going to be noticeable.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1686
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Colony, TX (Dallas suburb)

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:54 pm

To the OP: I've got the same situation with a couple of klipsch computer speakers I'm trying to use as rear speakers for my surround system(hooked to home theater). If you figure out how to make normal speaker cable into those single plugs please post it. I looked briefly but gave up. I've got 100 feet of cable sitting idle until I can get a couple of speakers or figure this out.
Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: VA

Re: Speaker wire length

Postposted on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:59 am

Thebolt wrote:To the OP: I've got the same situation with a couple of klipsch computer speakers I'm trying to use as rear speakers for my surround system(hooked to home theater). If you figure out how to make normal speaker cable into those single plugs please post it. I looked briefly but gave up. I've got 100 feet of cable sitting idle until I can get a couple of speakers or figure this out.


Run down to your local Radio Shack and pick up these, then solder them to the end of your wire. Make sure you polarity matches between the two speakers.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1686
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Colony, TX (Dallas suburb)


Return to Echo Vale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests