Logitech Z-680 Decoding Capabilities

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Logitech Z-680 Decoding Capabilities

Postposted on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 pm

I can't seem to find any detailed information on the Logitech Z-680 in regards to what it is able to decode. Specifically, in relation to my PS3.

I need to know what the highest PCM bit rate and frequency it can handle and whether or not it supports AAC.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Logitech Z-680 Decoding Capabilities

Postposted on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:08 pm

It does not support AAC. The DACs in the main pod/sub are 16bit/48KHz, but pretty nice quality. You can send 24bit/96KHz and 24/192 streams, but they are automatically downsampled at the DACs.

I've gotten to know my Z-680s pretty well. Best money I've ever spent on computer-centric A/V gear.

It handles AC3 and DTS over digital links, but not the WMA-Pro 5.1 nonsense, and not AAC.

It can decode MP3 sent over the digital link, but it's not designed to do it, and there's not much point.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:43 pm

So, really, there isn't any point in sending the unit anything higher than 16/48.

Very informative. Thank you.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:47 pm

titan wrote:So, really, there isn't any point in sending the unit anything higher than 16/48.

Very informative. Thank you.

Actually there is, if the downsampling is actually done at the DAC level (on the output to the speakers). Then again, the Z-680s, though nice, aren't so high-end that you'll notice a difference. In any case, just set the sample rate to the highest possible, it sure can't hurt.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Return to Echo Vale