Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Stereo Mini Joiner

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:25 pm

This may sound entirely idiotic, but I was wondering it it would be possible to join together 3 or more stereo mini lines. I have 3 headphone out lines (PC, TV, PS3)... and rather than unplugging/plugging them in every time, I'd like to merge them into a single headphone jack.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Stereo Mini Joiner

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:35 pm

So you have 3 sources that you want mixed into one set of headphones?
you would need a mixer.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-M ... 1475442.gc
Edit: This is mono and will not work for what you want.. Sorry :oops:

This one is made for Headphones but a bit more money.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rolls-MX28- ... 1153519.gc
Last edited by GokuSS2 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Wow - that's pretty awesome... never thought I could use something like that (that might actually be a good solution since the PS3 and TV sources I'm running headphones from have no volume control - it's a straight output from the RCA in the case of the TV, and the composite-out in the case of the PS3). I'm hoping that 1/4" to stereo-mini converters are fairly cheap.

Would you happen to know of any online retailers that sells something similar (monoprice or something online fairly cheap) - don't have anything against GuitarCenter... just wondering if there might be a cheaper alternative. Thanks for your help!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:43 am

What happened to your receiver setup?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:42 pm

What happened to your receiver setup?

Unfortunately, my receiver has no headphone jack output (I have the ubiquitous Sony HT-SS360), I so I'm left with using an RCA to stereo-mini female converter for my TV and PS3 (PC has headphone jack from soundcard)... which works fine enough, except there's no way to control the volume doing it that way from my TV or PS3 (thankfully, the volume level is fairly mid-range). So now, I've got three stereo-mini female jacks all sitting conveniently next to my receiver, which I swap to and from depending on what I'm using when I want headphones, lol.

I'm guessing there isn't such a device that would go between the HDMI-in on the TV and the HDMI-out on the receiver (i.e. two HDMI female ports) that would add a headphone out? If such a thing did exist, I'd imagine it'd be quite pricey.