Advice on car stereo deck

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Advice on car stereo deck

Postposted on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:53 pm

I am looking into getting a new stereo deck for a late christmas gift. I drive a 2003 Saturn Ion-1 and already have my wiring harness and dash kit.
Some of the basic things I am looking for are:

-iPhone plugin via USB for iTunes audio
-HD Radio
-Decent interface

I have heard talk that pluggin my iPhone into the front USB will cause it to go into some sort of auxiliary mode where it can't receive calls, but I don't think this is true. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Also, is HD Radio really worth all of the buzz? I think that I would use the iTunes tagging a lot and I wouldn't mind having better sounding radio if it really is better.

I suppose I would settle for front-aux if I had to, but I think that having one usb cable coming into the system to charge and transmit audio would be easier than running a 3.5mm cable to the aux from the iPhone and then plugging the iPhone power in.

Oh, also I am running the stock sound system right now if that makes any difference. No subs or amps.

Any recommendations on decks would be appreciated!
njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Re: Advice on car stereo deck

Postposted on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:21 pm

i bought this
Sony MEX-BT3700
it is a good budget under 200$ stereo that works great with iphone 3GS
it can charge and still receive calls when using the usb plug to control the music from the phone
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Return to Echo Vale