Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Legal Music Download Services...

Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:04 am

So the Girlfriend is really wanting to get back into building up her music list. Hoping to find a service that's got a 1 time a year fee, lots of music choices, good quality recordings and doesn't bloat your computer. Anyone here use something themselves that they can recommend? I'm of course looking for something that is legal here in the United States, and preferably staying away from some of the typical P2P software. Thanks for the heads up, i haven't downloaded since the old Napster days ahah.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Legal Music Download Services...

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:27 am

I can't make a recommendation concerning music download services (I still buy CDs, if you can believe it) but I can help you get started by pointing you to over 1,300 free songs you can download from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1250400877/ ... 011&page=1

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Rhapsody was a monthly price, but my mom liked it really well and (I think) still uses it to this day. It had a really wide selection, too.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:52 pm

I got the perfect suggestion: http://www.mp3va.com
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:18 pm

1.) Any one time fee or monthly fee is a subscription service. Once you end your subscription the songs you've downloaded are no longer available to you. Some services, such as Microsoft's Zune, give you a number of songs that you get to keep even after you've ended your service. For the Zune it's 10 songs. The Zune service also has the out right purchase of songs, like iTunes and Amazon. To me if you're a heavy music consumer it is probably the best overall service, assuming their library has what you want.

2.) Buy CDs, listen to music that doesn't have just a few good tracks on each disc.

I always go with number 2.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:57 pm

No, seriously, you guys aren't listening. mp3va is the way to go.

1) All songs are 100% DRM free.

2) All songs are high bitrate, at least 192kbps or greater.

3) All songs are CHEEEEAAAP. We're talking like 15¢ a song, or $1.15 an album.

4) Supposedly 100% legit and legal. There legal terms are stated to abide by copyright laws section blah-blah-blah.

The only sucky thing about them is hit-and-miss selection. Not quite as good as iTunes, but they do have a "request music" feature... not sure if it does anything.

mongoosesRawesome
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:21 pm

I use the new napster. They have a monthly subscription (5/month) that allows you to listen to nearly all of their entire library from your computer (some tracks are only 30 second previews). In addition, that monthly subscription includes 5 downloads. Those downloads are DRM free and 256kbps mp3's. Considering that it's usually about 1 dollar per track anyways, this has been a good deal for me. That, and before I buy an album, I get to listen to it completely. They offer subscriptions per year and every three months as well, but it all basically works out to the same amount of money per month. They do offer a certain amount of free mp3's when you sign up, depending on whether it's a yearly subscription or monthly, etc.

I've also gotten into last.fm quite a bit. I find it pretty good for finding new music. Pandora is also pretty good.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
No, seriously, you guys aren't listening. mp3va is the way to go.

1) All songs are 100% DRM free.

2) All songs are high bitrate, at least 192kbps or greater.

3) All songs are CHEEEEAAAP. We're talking like 15¢ a song, or $1.15 an album.

4) Supposedly 100% legit and legal. There legal terms are stated to abide by copyright laws section blah-blah-blah.

The only sucky thing about them is hit-and-miss selection. Not quite as good as iTunes, but they do have a "request music" feature... not sure if it does anything.

The language on the site is Engrish, and that makes me wary.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:34 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:

AFAIK, same legal basis as All Of MP3 (see: ROMS). Take that however you will.