Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Alms for the blind...

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 am

This is a bit of a strange question, but a friend of mine is completely blind and lives and dies by his Sirius radio. He loves baseball and listening to baseball games keeps him from going insane with boredom. The problem is that in the off-season, they don't usually re-broadcast baseball games so he has to wait until the season kicks in again to enjoy his games. He asked me if there was any way to record a game so he could listen to it in the off-season. I haven't looked at his radio but it's a big one and probably has a line-out (if it doesn't, we'd buy him one that does). The problem is how to easily record a 3 hour game so that he can initiate both recording and playback. My first thought was an MP3 recorder with line in, but most that I've seen use an interface that can't really be operated without having vision. His thought was a VCR on EP which is probably not a bad idea since it has only a few tactile buttons he could operate. Any other ideas or does anyone know of any digital recording devices specifically made for the blind?

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Alms for the blind...

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:03 am

Nevermind, I found the Milestone 311/312 and it seems most Olympus voice recorders are made to be usable by the blind/visually impaired.
http://www.bones.ch/bones/pages/eng/sup ... ne312.html

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:07 am

Does your friend ever listen to audiobooks? For a lot of books I read, if I really enjoy it I'll try and find the audiobook for it. I just recently got Don Quixote. 47 hours of one of the greatest stories in history. My uncles sight is failing and I've gotten him a bunch of audiobooks to listen to on his MP3 player, and now he's sending me lists of books he wants me to try and find the audio version for. They're a far fling from baseball, but they could very well keep the boredom at bay during the off season.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 pm

roont wrote:
They're a far fling from baseball, but they could very well keep the boredom at bay during the off season.

You know, there are baseball related novels out there. I'm sure some would be on audiobook.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.