Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Matthyahuw
Gerbil In Training

Re: Win one of three Asus Xonar sound cards

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:14 pm

I chose my audio setup as it came onboard my motherboard & it was cheap.
I also have 2nd hand headsets...again due to cost.
I always wanted a real soundcard, but onboard worked & I was low on dough...

THANKS!
Shalom!

matrixo32
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:15 pm

I have the Integrated audio on MSI P6NGM-L with a 5.1 60W surround

but all system is built for videogames with the new asus ENGTX460 top graphics card

Yoshimanitsu
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:16 pm

My setup is as follows:
Gfx: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition @ 1000/1250
Mobo: Biostar Poop board
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition @3.0ghz(stock) w/ stock cooling
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB
RAM:Corsair XMS2 2x2gb
Keyboard: 22 year old (as of september 1rst actually) IBM Model M Mechanical Keyboard ( can't afford a nice keyboard)
Mouse: Half dead Razer diamond back 3G
Case: I had to make one because my other one was destroyed by a hammer (yay for ex girlfriends)
Speakers: 2.1 Altec Lansing with a blown sub ( I got these free which is why I have them)

The reason I really would love this, is because my motherboard has Realtek on-board audio, that half works, as in, if I move the speaker connection just right, I get sound, otherwise I go without. I've tried to save up to buy a sound card but things keep happening that hold me back from being able to buy, anything really. I'm an audiophile, I love music of all kinds, but I can't even hardly listen to music ever, because of my on-board sound card, and when I can, its only for like 10-20 minutes. I would love a new sound card, and an Asus Xonar would be amazing. It would also be pretty cool because I've never one anything other then a few games at the carnival haha. Right now money is super tight because I'm trying to save to get a car, so I can get a better job, then I have to save for going to college at the local community college, so my dreams of having a nice sound card are pretty much, done for. My friend was nice enough to buy me a $10 sound card by Sabrent, but for some reason it won't work, and he doesn't have the receipt to go get it replaced. Right now, I have a case made of 4 pieces of wood that I built myself.

The date on my keyboard: 01SEP88
Thats the case I built :D
I literally use the dead sub to hold up my second monitor to make it match my other one so dual screen backrounds match up. if you notice, my keyboard is so old it doesn't have windows keys

KennethD
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:27 pm

I have a Creative SupremeFX X-Fi soundcard wich is build in my Asus Maximus Gene II mainboard, i mostly use it for gaming, watching Movies with surround sound and Listening to music. I also use it to get the sound from my PS3 to my Logitech X-530 5.1 surround speakers wich i bought 3-4 years ago, i bought it because it was cheap and i needed a good surround system for my pc. My soundcard is ok but i would really want a better and bigger soundcard :D

Edit: Sorry for my bad English, i am from Norway 8)

slugbug
Gerbil

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Honestly I haven't bought a sound card in years. My PC audio setup currently consists of onboard sound from my EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard connected to a very old set of Logitech ZX-560 4.1 speakers.

oasis789
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:53 pm

I don't actually have a PC audio setup! What I do have is my roommate lip-reading youtube videos and imitating their voices. He does a mean lolcat voice. MEOWr.

Actually, no. It's onboard audio on an X48 motherboard and a mini USB-powered stereo speaker that plugs into the audio out jack.

Yeah, still pretty sad. So I could really use that Xonar card and the Sennheiser headset.

shaggydrake
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:33 pm

My current PC setup is:
Asus P7P55D-E Pro with a i7 870
PNY GeForce 285GTX Video
8Gb Ram
Two WD 300Gb 10k RPM Raptor Hard Drives configured for RAID 0
LG DL DVD Burner
LG Bluray Player
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Creative 6.1 Speaker Setup
ThermalTake Tai Chi Liquid Cooled Case
ThermalTake 750watt Power Supply

Why: the on board sound card on the P7P55D-E is garbage, it is always popping and have had no luck getting it stop, therefore I have actually been looking into acquirings this card the headset would be an abosute bonus and would prevent me from getting yelled at when I crank up the games.

dv8sty
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Just bought these from newegg today 09/03/10
* Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz LGA 1156 Desktop Processor (RETAIL)
* Asus P7H55-M PRO Intel H55 HDMI LGA 1156 Micro ATX Motherboard
* 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Signature DDR3-1600MHz PC3-12800 Desktop Memory
* OCZ Vertex Series 60GB 2.5" Internal SATA MLC Solid State Drive
* 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 7200RPM/32MB 3.5" Internal SATA Hard Drive
* Thermaltake V6 BlackX Edition Gaming Computer Case w/ Top Mounted HDD Docking Station
* OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX Power Supply (80PLUS, Modular)

and also Palit NE5X460SF1102 Geforce GTX 460 Sonic 1GB HDCP PCI-E, I was still lookin' for a good new sound card and SOME other components and stumbled to this Facebook post.
OMG This is like my dream comes true :P he he, if I win this
BTW this is my first time to buy and try to assemble a PC, FINGERS CROSSED

tedpcantrell
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:15 am

I only have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 OEM card. To say it's long in the tooth is an understatement. I do have it connected to a Logitech 5.1 sound system tho.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 am

I have toyed with a handful of Ensoniq AudioPCI and SB Live Value cards over the years. I currently use an Audigy2 ZS, mainly because it came with a PC that I purchased from one friend and then split up amongst a few other friends. The drivers proved stable and the sound quality was acceptable, so here it continues, nearly five years later. However, like a chocolate bar that sat in the glovebox too long, time has begun to pass it by, and the original sweetness is tainted by a cardboardish flavor. Among other unfulfilled dreams, I have some ideas for layered acapella recordings that have not yet been completed due to the lack of a truly good soundcard.

What makes my current setup special, however, is this:

This is a from-scratch DIY headphone amplifier. The circuit design was derived from these plans and the low-profile chassis was selected on the basis of keeping the design as clean, simple, and unobtrusive as possible.

Unfortunately, neither the front end nor the back end are particularly special: the antiquated Audigy2 ZS supplies the source, and a $20 pair of Sony headphones connects to the output. The amplifier is capable of driving so much more, but so far, has never had an opportunity. Do I really need something better? Probably not. Would I like a chance to find out? You betcha!

At any rate, this setup serves for now, and in time, I hope to add a Klipsche ProMedia 2.1 system to my source selector. I have some other DIY amplifier gear assembled, but none of it fits in the room where I keep my computer, so the headphones are my primary source of entertainment.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

yfital
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:09 am

First of all ,i must admit, i have very good ears, but a very bad purse :)
Although i really do hear the difference with better quality systems, i just never found myself wanting to spend a lot of money on one.

I'm currently using an X-FI eXtreme Music (the cheapest of the bunch) and a very very old set of 5.1 Creative speakers (InSpire 5300) + a Vivanco SR850 headset (which is completely broken :) )

Nothing special about me here :) i just love to game and i love some volume :)
ASUS Maximus Forumla, Bios 1201 | Intel Q9450, 3 @ 1.25v | Mushkin REDLINE DDR2, 2X2048, 925MHz, 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v | GeCube HD4870 512mb | SoundBlaster X-FI Extreme Music | 500GB+2X200GB W.D. | Antec P182 | OCZ GameXStream 600W

Nhoj Gnol
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:34 am

Well, Here's my entry. I currently have a Asus Xonar DX hooked to a pair of Creative SBS250 powered speakers. When on Vent or late at night I use a Logitech "over the ear" headset. Before my old amplifier died I had the card jacked into an old Kenwood amp and speakers. I could reeally use the upgrade in both the card and the headset.

Thanks for the chance to win!!

PersianImm0rtal
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:46 am

Currently I am using on board sound from my motherboard, MSI x58 Platinum SLI. I also use that in combination with a Logitech head set. It is really bad, and I get a lot of static. Its called Realtek HD or something like that. I also use Altec 30 watt speakers. I chose to use on board because I do not know the difference, but I heard its better to have a dedicated sound card. Also I got a cheap Logitech headset cause i heard they were the best headsets, but the mic broke! I bought Altec speakers because they were on sale on amazon. I am a really poor computer enthusiast, and I love games, so I spent most of my money on my rig for graphics performance. =[

I could really use a new sound card, that static is killing my ears. :o
CPU:Intel Core i7 920 @ overclocked 2.8 GHZ
RAM:6GB Corsair Triple Channel DDR3
Motherboard: MSI x58 Platinum SLI
GFX Card: EVGA 9800 GTX+ Superclocked 512mb SLI
HDD: 500GB

hans
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:24 am

Gigabyte p35 ds3's onboard Realtek. It's the first time I've used onboard audio and it's not bad to my admittedly damaged ears. A Xonar card has been on the list, waiting to find an awesome deal.

Speakers are old but wonderful Klipsch ProMedia's. Unfortunately the rear channel blew on the amp some time ago, and I haven't gotten around to sending them back. I don't want to be muted for however long it takes to send it out for repair.

Camera.Ken
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:26 am

I am a traditionalist when it comes to audio. I love music, and listen to it constantly. I do lots of audio stuff, but I am agnostic when it comes to music technology. I am also cheap, in the sense that I always look for the 'sweet spot' where my needs, cost and quality are in balance.

I use an ASUS PT6 motherboard and its built-in Realtek audio. I am pleasantly surprised at the output quality, the ability to capture and process sound, and to interact with audio editors, Skype, Google Voice, Windows Media Player and related applications.

As to output, I use a middle-of-the-road 2-channel receiver, and feed it from the PC's line-out jacks. I use line-in jacks to capture turntable, which in turn is plugged into the receiver's phono jack. I occasionally capture radio, and very occasionally ancient cassette tapes.

The receiver feeds two very good quality bookshelf speakers, giving me excellent audio. I have always felt that the speaker is the place to put my money, and it works just fine.

WhiteJSB
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:11 pm

My system is really horrible. :(

Pentium D
Intel mother board
1gb ddr2 ram
and psu brand that i never heard before...
I really want this card since my sound chipset is laggy and when i use chrome and trying to listen to music, it repeats same part over and over again like it's a DJ.... I really want this card.

Thanks

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:13 pm

My setup consists of a few decent parts albeit it has been better. Right now:

Asus Xonar D1 - would like to upgrade that card for sure. I picked up this card because I can't afford a more expensive solution. It was worked out well for me for now though.

2.1 Klipsch Promedia's - LOVE These are some of the best non-digital consumer speakers I could get my hands on which can with glowing reviews from many around here.

A Logitech desktop mic that is....mediocre at best. I had to have something for gaming and didn't want to wear an uncomfortable mic/can set that didn't have a decent quality mic. So instead I just got a mediocre mic.

A pair of Sennheiser HD485's that are, to say the least, showing their age. Probably the best headphones i've owned to date but are quickly becoming very aged. Cables are splaying, inconsistent clicking noises when connected to multiple sources and just over wear has made me think it's time for some new ones.

All in all it does work, but it's time for an overhaul.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

RedShift127
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm running a sweet Realtek onboard sound setup and some $10 tin-cone speakers that allow me to pay off my student loans quicker since I didn't blow all of my money on some $200 sound setup that doesn't sound like crap.

madmanmarz
Gerbil

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 pm

MSI 790x motherboard. Bedroom uses a cheap 2+1 Philips set for front and my HP monitor speakers for rear/surround.

Also hooked up via HDMI (5770) to my LCD TV where audio is output via RCA cables to an older AIWA minisystem for the living room. That is all.

yammerpickle2
Gerbil

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:43 pm

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro going optical out to Onkyo HT-R550 7.1 AV receiver bi-monster wired to Polk CSi A6 center, Polk Monitor 70 L/R fronts, Polk Monitor 60 L/R sides, and Polk Monitor 40 L/R rears. My sub is an Onkyo (SKW-550) powered subwoofer. My wifes cats, and yeah I love them too, tore down and chewed up my Beyerdynamic DT 990 headphones. Sob! I'm not sure if I should replace them with Beryerdynamic MMX 300 MANUFAKTUR, Sennheiser PC 360, or PC350 for gaming.

monkeychang
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Well, let’s start detailing my phenomenal audio setup by beginning with the best part of it…

My Gigabyte motherboard integrated Realtek sound!

Actually that’s not accurate, it’s not the best part, but it’s true that I do have to resort to using integrated sound (my old computer had an Audigy 2 ZS but it doesn’t work anymore).

My situation isn't as bad as some of the other people in this thread (those $10 speakers must sound awful). I do have Logitech Z-5500’s that I consider one of the best decisions of my life. I got them during freshman year of college for around $230 (they’re around $300 now, which blows my mind :o ). They’re incredibly useful for movies, games (have to love knowing which direction people are sneaking up on you in CS), and the occasional urge I get to shake the building I live in to the ground :wink: .

I also have Klipsch Image S4’s for headphones, which I mainly use to listen to music from my ipod. They do get the occasional use with my PC when I’m on ventrilo with other people (they hate the feedback into my cheapo mic from my speakers).

I’d post some pictures, but I think they’d be so shoddy you’d think it was a kid painting with marbles.

All in all, I think that neatly sums up my current situation.

Thanks to those at TR that provide these wonderful giveaways! (and the companies donating the products)

darkstar8
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:33 am

Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please! I would like to introduce tonights musical guest, here all the way from NC. On speakers we have a pair of KLH floor speakers running on a technics stereo receiver, given a second chance at life after being found down and out at a Goodwill, he was chosen to give the group powerful stereo sound. On sound card is founding member Realtek ALC888 onboard audio, giving the trio budget leadership. Finally, on headphones is a pair of Logitech gaming headphones, a former groupie who gave herself to the band for Christmas. And now without further ado, I present for you listening pleasure "My Sound Setup"! Hit it boys.

Kulith
Gerbil XP

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 am

Well my humble audio setup is as follows:

1) Abit IP35 Pro onboard sound
2) Creative I-Trigue L3800 2.1 speakers

Both of which I've owned for many years. The reason I bought the Abit IP35 Pro was Tech Reports review back then. And the I-Trigue where on sale, and frankly I still think they are the most aesthetically appealing speakers I've ever seen, and afaik they sound fine though I'm no audiophile. I've never used a sound card in my life.
Last edited by Kulith on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core 2 quad q6600 w/ thermaltake V1 | eVGA GTX260 core216 | Abit IP35 Pro | 4gb OCZ ddr2 800 | 60GB OCZ Vertex | Corsair 750W CMPSU | Antec 900 | Samsung 206BW 20" | Windows 7 Ult x64 | Ideazon Merc Stealth & Logitech G5 | I-Trigue L3800

sargx
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Here we go, I'll just upload stock photos since everyone's room setup is different.

Speakers/Receiver: "Onkyo HT-S9300THX" - $897.56 from Amazon
Reasons for choosing, it's one of the better HTIB setups. Good THX certs, matched speakers that sound good together, and decent bang for the buck.

Sound Card: "Asus Xonar DX" - $79.99 from Amazon
Reasons for choosing, it has a SNR of 116dB. One of the first solid "gaming" sound cards. Emulates EAX 5.0. The REAL reason I picked this card however is that it has support for Dolby Digital Live. (Read More: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/understand/playback/dolby-digital-live.html).

Summary:
Awesomeness.

Synon
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Sound has a striking similarity to dialup and broadband. When dialup is the only service you've ever had it's fine, it works, you are unaware of how bad it is because you've never experienced anything better. I've been stuck on audio "dialup" for the last 15 years, using cheap audio PCI cards or onboard audio. My current setup is onboard audio (ECS G31T-M mobo, purchased for $50) paired with some barely-functional free earbuds from a hotel fitness room, my speakers (Altec Lansing VS4121, $20 on Black Friday 3 years ago) which never worked very well to begin with bit the dust 2 months ago and unexpected medical bills have taken priority over replacements. Yes, the speakers made sound, they played music, it was fine because I've always been at the bottom of the audio totem pole and didn't know any better. Recently however I went to a friends who is obsessed with good audio, and that's when I realized how terrible my sound quality was (even when my speakers were still working!), I couldn't believe my ears! It was as if I was listening to all the songs for the very first time, I felt like I was in the studio with the band, now I know what it's like to EXPERIENCE music and not just listen to it! It makes me cringe when I listen to music now, it really is depressing. I have nearly 90GB of music begging to be played, I can't watch movies because the audio quality through the earbuds is so poor I can't understand what they are saying half the time. It sounds like someone is constantly running a chainsaw in the background, it's that bad. There isn't much to take pictures of, and besides, my current setup doesn't deserve to be remembered in any shape or form, I'm sick of it! Pictures of the earbuds going through a meat grinder if I win the card/headset, now that I can do!

Audio Gods, deliver me from this torment!

Laykun
Gerbil

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:14 pm

The Audio setup for my main PC is an ASUS Xonar DX -> M300 headphone AMP -> Sennheiser HD650. I chose this setup because it had value (got the amp and headphones second hand) and the Xonar not only supported DTS encoding but it's drivers were very solid (unlike those god forsaken creative things). The Xonar was also a PCI-E 1x card which allowed me to use a 1x slot for the first time and it's tiny form factor was absolutely perfect for not getting in the way. I love the 116db SNR that the card has.

My media center has a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (HP OEM) running under Ubuntu going out to a set of Logitech Z-5500 speakers, it does well enough.

pot
Gerbil

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 am

I currently use a X-FI Xtreme Gamer. I bought it because it was a decent sound card for gaming and was at a nice price point.

I use Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Digital Speaker System for the speakers, they sound great and I got them at an amazing price from a computer store that was going out of business.

I recently became an audiophile after falling in love with uncompressed audio.

computermaster112
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:46 am

One may call me a bargain connoisseur. My sole aim is simple and easily articulated; I endeavor to build a capable gaming PC for the lowest possible price. In my quest to build an inexpensive pc, I often neglected sound quality. I thought that investing in a pricey sound card and speaker setup would yield little return. Ergo, I continued to use an inexpensive pair of 6 watt Compaq PC speakers and the motherboard's onboard audio chipset. I remained ignorant of the benefits that an improved sound system would effect. This changed quickly when I capriciously decided to hook one of my stereo systems (a Venturer 5CD system with a 120 watt total output) up to my pc with a stereo splitter cable. Upon listening to the speakers for the first time, I was aghast. The audio fidelity was greatly improved. The superior audio quality also wrought a considerably improved gaming experience; that fact was indubitable. This provided the impetus for additional thought on the matter. Specifically, I began to formulate hypotheses regarding the effect of a dedicated sound card on audio quality. I resolved to purchase a sound card so that I could either decisively affirm or refute my hypothesis that a pricey sound card results in audio fidelity of the highest caliber. I then saw the post on your website advertising your ASUS giveaway. The timing of this contest could not have been more fortuitous. To expedite the process of extracting the important information from this rather lengthy narrative, I shall provide a summary table of the various components that comprise my sound system. I thank you greatly for considering my entry.

Sound System components:
PC: Extensively upgraded HP P6510
Sound Card: Onboard (Realtek HD Audio)
Speakers: Venturer 120 watt stereo system

Last edited by computermaster112 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UberLaff
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm using a Logitech Z-5450 wireless surround speakers for audio off my home theater pc in my living room. Damn good sound but I'm only using integrated motherboard audio and could us a little more kick from a nice sound card.

The setup up runs Windows 7 Media Center with access to Netflix and is the basis for all media related viewing or listening. I have Boxee and Hulu Media Center also installed they go untouched because of how awesome Netflix is in WMC.

dansausage
Gerbil

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 pm

I currently have an creative audigy 2 zs pro ex and logitech z5500 5.1 speakers and a set of 5.1 turtle beach headphones.Can't really use the speakers full 505watts without someone bitching but they kick butt.But my sound card has issues with cutting out sometimes at lower volume settings.I would love to win a new card,