Replacing a subwoofer driver

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Replacing a subwoofer driver

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:03 pm

I have a Creative S750 PC sound system that is needing some repairs. After thousands of hours of use, the sub has started making a nice metal-on-metal popping sound on hard hits. So, I took it apart in order to find a replacement driver and ran into some problems. I dont know much about speakers besides watts and ohms so any help finding a replacement would be appreciated.

The subwoofer driver has this info printed on the back: Cambridge Soundworks, AG00000321400, 8 Ohm

Its an 8 inch long-throw driver with three pairs of wires connected to it and is rated from Creative at 210W RMS.

Any suggestions?
tdsevern
Gerbil

Re: Replacing a subwoofer driver

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Don't know much about speakers myself, but good sound systems tend to be properly matched. You'll need to find the exact same model with which to replace it. You can try calling up Creative and asking them if they sell replacement drivers, or have a repair facility. If you feel like experimenting a bit, you could look at eBay for some drivers that'll work with your unit.

Of course, you're assuming from the start that it's a bad driver causing your problems. It could just have come unseated, and something's jostling around that shouldn't be. Is the driver obviously torn or ripped? Maybe try putting it back together and see if that eliminates the noise.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm

I isolated the driver from the speaker box and the popping sound is for sure coming from the driver. There is no obvious visual damage to the driver.
tdsevern
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Sounds like dual-voice-coil driver, one terminal is probably common ground and the other two are signal inputs.

You can probably find a reasonably close equivalent in a car audio make/model, but it might be easier to just track down an identical component on eBay or Craigslist.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 pm

ludi wrote:Sounds like dual-voice-coil driver, one terminal is probably common ground and the other two are signal inputs.

You can probably find a reasonably close equivalent in a car audio make/model, but it might be easier to just track down an identical component on eBay or Craigslist.

It is actually a triple voice coil sub. See this thread for pictures and more info. Not sure where you can find a replacement. You could use a dual coil replacement, but which two channels to use would be the question.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:47 pm

Creative support is absolutly terrible. Will never buy from them again.

Thanks for the link SS. Finding a 8" DVC driver is hard enough. I doubt i will ever find a triple.

I ordered this for now: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowde ... 357&ctab=3

If I can get it wired and it fixes the problem, ill look for a higher quality driver when that one blows.
tdsevern
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:31 am

Look carefully at the circuit boards near where the wires from the speaker plugs in. If you are lucky, they will be marked as to what they are. The marking may give some hints about which two to use. I suspect that they are left, right, and sub channels. The left and right being run from the front left and right outputs and the sub being run from the .1 subwoofer output. This would allow the system to function properly in both full 7.1 mode as well as normal stereo without having to have any mixing or switching electronics in the cabinet.

With respect to support, while not defending Creative's support, don't forget that these things are considered disposable. Very little these days is design to be repaired. As such, support is not focused on those type of activities. Why would anyone try and repair a $500 set of speakers? (That was being sarcastic).

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 am

Actually, what you could do is pick up a second subwoofer with a single voice coil, mount it in an external box, and then wire that to the third output. The internal sub will handle left and right and the external sub would handle the extra bass when doing reproduction from the dedicated subwoofer channel.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:35 am

I have a Creative S750 PC sound system that is needing some repairs. After thousands of hours of use, the sub has started making a nice metal-on-metal popping sound on hard hits. So, I took it apart in order to find a replacement driver and ran into some problems. I dont know much about speakers besides watts and ohms so any help finding a replacement would be appreciated.

The subwoofer driver has this info printed on the back: Cambridge Soundworks, AG00000321400, 8 Ohm

Its an 8 inch long-throw driver with three pairs of wires connected to it and is rated from Creative at 210W RMS.

Any suggestions?

You could try contacting Cambridge Soundworks directly; tell them what you have and see if they'll make a deal for a replacement.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Cambridge soundworks wont have anything to do with a Creative device. Even though they designed the system and their name is on everything but the name tag, they wont even look up the part number. The guy I talked to, who actually spoke english which was nice, was a complete jerk. Another company on the DNB list.
tdsevern
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Cambridge soundworks wont have anything to do with a Creative device. Even though they designed the system and their name is on everything but the name tag, they wont even look up the part number. The guy I talked to, who actually spoke english which was nice, was a complete jerk. Another company on the DNB list.

Sorry to hear that... could be you just got an a$$ on the phone, but probably not worth giving them any more of your time, let alone money.
cphite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 pm

tdsevern wrote:Cambridge soundworks wont have anything to do with a Creative device.

Cambridge Soundworks has been owned by Creative Labs since 1997.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:03 pm

tdsevern wrote:Cambridge soundworks wont have anything to do with a Creative device. Even though they designed the system and their name is on everything but the name tag, they wont even look up the part number. The guy I talked to, who actually spoke english which was nice, was a complete jerk. Another company on the DNB list.

You seem to be burning a lot of bridges here for not getting what I frankly would not expect coming in. Judging by this thread, if you'd purchased a similar item from another manufacturer you'd probably be swearing off doing business with them at this point.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:46 pm

mattsteg wrote:
tdsevern wrote:Cambridge soundworks wont have anything to do with a Creative device. Even though they designed the system and their name is on everything but the name tag, they wont even look up the part number. The guy I talked to, who actually spoke english which was nice, was a complete jerk. Another company on the DNB list.

You seem to be burning a lot of bridges here for not getting what I frankly would not expect coming in. Judging by this thread, if you'd purchased a similar item from another manufacturer you'd probably be swearing off doing business with them at this point.

That's an oddly cranky thing to say. It's not like the OP's system was some $50 piece of junk that the vendor could reasonably claim to have no records for, nor is he asking them to come up with some sort of excuse to RMA it, nor is he whining. He just wants to see if they can supply a major replacement part and he's getting stonewalled by people who, to put it in simple English, don't want to help him, and so he doesn't want to deal with those people in the future. Sounds fair to me.

By comparison, I once direct-ordered a part for a lower-end Pioneer component stereo receiver that was, at the time, about seven or eight years old. It was a cheap plastic switch that controlled the mains AC voltage input for a universally-tapped transformer. They charged me an arm and a leg for it, but they were able to confirm that (a) yes, it is still an in-stock item and (b) yes, we can help you with ordering that, and the repaired receiver has since acquired another five years of regular use. That's good customer service and I've had no qualms in buying from Pioneer since then.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:45 am

Well, I replaced the sub with a two coil driver. Turned on the system and the power led started flickering and then out completely. The fuse isnt blown and the amp is getting power because its outputing around 25V. Unless I am missing a blown capacitor, there must be something wrong with the digital controller.

I disconnected the driver and it still wont turn on. Sad day. :(
tdsevern
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 am

tdsevern wrote:and the amp is getting power because its outputing around 25V

Unless the amp is single-ended and uses a coupling capacitor, it shouldn't be outputting anything while idling. Some minor float potential will be observed but it should be within less than 100mV of the power supply's 0V point.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Return to Echo Vale